* Uninstalling AS from Back up and Restore plug in

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Uninstalling AS from Back up and Restore plug in

Post by janefrances » 04 Dec 2020 11:47

Hoping for some advice about how to uninstall the above. I haven't used this excellent program for a good few years but I did for some of my earlier census and parish records when I was new to FH. What will happen to them if I uninstall them and how do I go about doing this? :) Many thanks.

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Uninstalling AS from Back up and Restore plug in

Post by tatewise » 04 Dec 2020 14:20

Sorry Jane, but I don't understand your problem.

The Ancestral Sources program has no interaction at all with the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin.
There is also no impact on the FH File > Backup/Restore Project options.

You uninstall Ancestral Sources via Start > Settings > Apps (on Windows 10) the same as any other Windows application.

I wonder if you are also thinking of the Ancestral Sources Data Entry plugin that invokes the Ancestral Sources program.
That plugin can be removed by simply deleting it via the FH Tools > Plugins window.
Some of its saved settings are handled by the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin but they are tiny and can be disregarded.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 04 Dec 2020 14:23

If/when you uninstall AS, the facts you created using it will not be affected, as they are stored in FH.

janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances » 04 Dec 2020 16:17

Ahh, ok thank you, I noticed there was a folder in my janesfamilytree.fh_data & plug in called Ancestral Sources and as I don't use it anymore thought it was pointless being there.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 04 Dec 2020 17:05

You now know how to uninstall the Ancestral Sources program. Yes?

You also know how to delete the Ancestral Sources Data Entry plugin. Yes?

However, there will be residual folders & files associated with those that need deleting with Windows File Explorer.

Ancestral Sources data folder is usually in your default Documents folder but maybe elsewhere:
...\Documents\Ancestral Sources
...\Documents\Ancestral Sources\Backups
...\Documents\Ancestral Sources\Logs
...\Documents\Ancestral Sources\Settings

There may also be Ancestral Sources key values left in the Windows Registry but probably not worth removing.

Ancestral Sources Data Entry plugin data files:
...\janesfamilytree\janesfamilytree.fh_data\Plugin Data\Ancestral Sources Data Entry.dat
C:\Users\{jane}\AppData\Roaming\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Plugin Data\Ancestral Sources Data Entry.dat
C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Plugin Data\Ancestral Sources Data Entry.dat

Those paths are provided in Knowledge Base > Ancestral Sources Data Entry ~ Frequently Asked Questions.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances » 04 Dec 2020 20:02

Yes, I do know how to uninstall the Ancestral Sources program and the data entry plugin and have done so.

I'll go through the rest one by one. Thank you :)