* Short and long titles for Birth Entries.

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Gardengirl
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Short and long titles for Birth Entries.

Post by Gardengirl » 29 Nov 2020 16:13

A few months ago I did lots of inputting via AS and thought I had cracked how to do it. Today I have gone back to add a couple of new certificates and I don't seem to be able to get the information that I need into the titles.

I am using Method 2. I have added my own source in the title 'Birth certificate' and I want to add name, place and year.

I have been into the options and added them into the box there but when I go back to FH after adding a certificate all I have as the citation title is Birth Certificate.

Where am I going wrong?
Garden girl by day
Family History woman by night

NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Short and long titles for Birth Entries.

Post by NickWalker » 29 Nov 2020 17:16

You said you're using Method 2 (which isn't the recommended method) and in that mode you don't have many sources. So your source might be 'UK Births' or 'Births Preston, Lancashire, UK' and then you would potentially have hundreds of records linked to that source.

In method 1 (the recommended method) you would have one source for each birth record so you end up with a lot of sources. So I might have a source called 'Birth Preston, Lancashire, UK 30 July 1892 Jo Bloggs'.

The source template title in your screen shot refers to an individual "{KeyPerson}' but as you're referring a specific person that seems to suggest you're trying to create a source for each individual - so it seems you're trying to use method 1?

If you're just linking all your records to an existing 'Birth Certificate' source, which seems to be what you're doing based on what you're seeing in Family Historian, then this would be a typical thing for a method 2 user to do. But in that case you're not going to be creating a new source so you'll never see the source titles specified in the method 2 options - they will only be used if you're creating a brand new source. But it sounds like you're just using one source so you'll never do that.

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

http://www.ancestralsources.com

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by tatewise » 29 Nov 2020 17:25

The first thing to point out is there is a typo in that dialogue.
The word Short should NOT appear in the Birth Method 2 Short Title Template heading.
That template is actually for the long Title of the Source record. (Compare similar dialogues for other data entry types.)

The second more important problem is that you cannot change the Title of Method 2 Source records to include specific details for each Birth Certificate. That is the whole strategy of Method 2. There is only one Source record for ALL the Birth Certificates. That is why its Title stubbornly remains as Birth Certificate.

You have to enter the person, place & date details in the main AS dialogue so they appear in the Citation of each Fact.
You also have to attach any Media image of the certificate to the Citation of each Fact.
Those details & images cannot appear in the Source record when using Method 2.

If you want to record the person, place & date details in the Title of Source records, then you must use Method 1 which requires a separate Source record for every Birth Certificate, but each Citation just lists the Source record.

[This was posted at same time as Nick's.]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 29 Nov 2020 17:34

Gardengirl, the same problem emerged during the discussion in this topic in August:
https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 32&t=17988
It was explained there, with reference to censuses, that you were confusing Method 1 and Method 2. The same principles apply to BMD certificates.
Lorna

Gardengirl
Diamond

Post by Gardengirl » 29 Nov 2020 17:51

Oh bother, I was sure that I had understood the difference between Method 1 and Method 2 but obviously not :( Back to kindergarten for me. I’ll have to read through everything again.
Garden girl by day
Family History woman by night