* Descendant outline report

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
res
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Descendant outline report

Post by res » 30 Oct 2020 17:20

I wish to generate a descendant outline report with connecting lines, ticked by default in options, but I also want to delete or modify some entries. Can this be done in FH? I can delete and modify in Word with the word processor RTF export but the connecting lines are not there. Any suggestions please. (FH 6.2)

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Descendant outline report

Post by tatewise » 30 Oct 2020 19:04

If you need the connecting lines then there are only two options:
  1. Somehow adjust your Project database so that the Reports says what you want.
    The changes do not have to be permanent as you can use the Edit > Undo command before closing FH, or you can use the File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot... command to restore yesterday's GEDCOM file.
  2. Use Save Report As > PDF File... and 'edit' the text in a PDF utility program.
    Some PDF utilities allow text to be 'pasted' over existing text for a limited form of editing.
    e.g. LibreOffice and OpenOffice can 'edit' PDF, although they effectively use their Drawing tools.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

res
Gold

Post by res » 30 Oct 2020 19:51

Thanks. I've tried the PDF edit which isn't really satisfactory. I don't think your other suggestion will work for me so I will have to do without the connecting lines. I migrated from TMG and they had a similar output with connecting lines that could be exported directly to Word. Shame it's not possible in FH.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 30 Oct 2020 19:54

If you could give some examples of what 'edits' you need, there may be solutions you are not aware of.

res
Gold

Post by res » 31 Oct 2020 13:54

Mike
The attached image is an example of what I am looking for. This was generated in TMG over 10 years ago and I can't remember the exact process. The output was to Word where the direct ancestors were highlighted in colour. In my TMG project every person had a "Family" Flag eg in this example C for DAVIS. Spouses had a "Family2" Flag as well if their line also had an earlier Tree descending to them. Other Flags were "Related by" (Ancestor or Collateral (TMG speak for siblings)) and "HeadofTree". In this way I was able to generate descendant reports which ended at the point where a male spouse was part of another Tree. In the example I am descended from Thomas DORRINGTON and I have another Descendent report for DORRINGTON starting from the DORRINGTON Head of Tree.
These Flags have migrated to FH from TMG and can be seen in the All column of the Property Box. An example reads
Flags: RELATED_BY_A, FAMILY_Q, FAMILY2_P
Are these Flags of any use in FH for generating a subset of the project that only contains the Tree of interest as in the above example which stops at Thomas DORRINGTON or is there a better way.
Davis.JPG

res
Gold

Post by res » 31 Oct 2020 13:56

Davis file attached
Attachments
Davis.JPG
Davis.JPG (123.37 KiB) Viewed 815 times

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 31 Oct 2020 14:30

You cannot colour code any FH Reports, but you can use the Flags to produce a subset tree & report.

Use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File... and click Select... button.
In the Select Records dialogue use Add using Query... at the bottom.
Choose the Has Flag standard Query and select the desired Flag name.
(You can repeat this for other Flags if necessary.)

Leave the Exclude settings as they are, but if you don't need images then set Media Records to Exclude.
Click OK and save the GEDCOM file and accept the offer to open it in FH.
You should then be able to produce an Outline Descendants Report for the subset tree.
(This method does not create a Project but that is possible if necessary.)

It appears as if the TMG report may only include a subset of key facts.
That is possible in the FH Report > Options by setting Individual/Family Events/Attributes lists.

res
Gold

Post by res » 31 Oct 2020 18:34

Mike
I have done a test GEDCOM export as you suggested which seems to work fine. However I have added a number of new individuals to my project since importing from TMG but can't find how to add the relevant flags to them. I do have Simon Orde's book by the way.

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 31 Oct 2020 19:35

To add a flag to an individual, use the All tab of the individual's Property Box (or the Individuals tab of the Records window). Right-click on the individual's name and you will see a menu of options, one of which is Set Flag.
Lorna

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 31 Oct 2020 20:06

You can also select the Individual who needs the Flag(s) and use Edit > Record Flags... then tick the ones to add.

It is also possible to create a custom Property Box tab listing all the Flags with a tick option against each one.
I can explain how to do that if interested.

res
Gold

Post by res » 31 Oct 2020 21:12

Thanks Lorna and Mike. I will use either of those options.
Richard

res
Gold

Post by res » 01 Nov 2020 11:04

One other question regarding Flags. Is it possible to rename a flag. My family flags are single letter because that was the only option in TMG i.e. of the form FAMILY_S. I would like to change them globally to FAMILY_SMITH etc. Find and replace didn't work.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 01 Nov 2020 11:55

Yes, you can make that change but there are a few steps.
You list all Individuals with the current Flag, then add the new Flag to them, and delete the old Flag.
  1. Use View > Standard Queries > Has Flag and select old Flag Family S to produce a Result Set of Individuals.
  2. Select all the Individuals and use Edit > Record Flags... > New... to create new Flag Family Smith, click OK, tick the new Flag and untick the old Flag, then click OK.
  3. Use Tools > Named Lists and Flags... and select the Record Flag as old Family S , click Flag Status... button and untick Always include this record flag in flag lists then click OK.
  4. Select Task 3. Clear the flag ... and click Perform Action.

res
Gold

Post by res » 01 Nov 2020 16:56

Thanks again
Richard