* Marriage Witnesses

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Johnr65
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Marriage Witnesses

Post by Johnr65 » 13 Aug 2020 13:08

Is it possible to bring up the 'Witness' names rather than 'Best Man' as I've never yet found a best man but a lot of witnesses?

jbtapscott
Superstar

Re: Marriage Witnesses

Post by jbtapscott » 13 Aug 2020 13:38

In the AS Marriages / Further Info tab there is a dropdown list against Association - select Witness from that list. If it's not in the list (unlikely!), then hit the Edit option to add it
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree

Johnr65
Superstar

Post by Johnr65 » 14 Aug 2020 11:11

Yes I know it's in the drop down list but I'd like witness to be the 1st one not best man?

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 14 Aug 2020 11:30

According to the AS Help
Witness Role: The witness role was first introduced in version 6 of Family Historian specifically as a method to associate individuals with a fact. Therefore this is almost certainly the best method to use if you have Family Historian 6 and is the default scheme used in Ancestral Sources. The description will be the name of the witness role in Family Historian and care should be taken that they match, e.g. Witness, Godparent, Minister, Priest, Rabbi, Mourner, Bridesmaid, Best Man. The note is probably best left blank for the template.
So I suspect that if you edit the Witness to have a title of _Witness it will appear at the top of the list, but as the description is used for the match the Witness role should be created OK, I have not tested the theory though.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 14 Aug 2020 12:13

I agree with Jane, that will put _Witnesses top of the drop-list, but the Witness Role will be just Witness.
i.e.
In the current Association drop-list select Witnesses and then click the Edit... link.
In the Associated Individual Types: Marriage dialogue, change the Title from Witnesses to _Witnesses then click the Save button and the Close button.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Johnr65
Superstar

Post by Johnr65 » 15 Aug 2020 12:41

Yes, :D :D :D that workaround seems to be OK thank you.

victor
Famous

Post by victor » 15 Aug 2020 18:22

I will have to remember to do this next time I use it. Itis rare for anybody to know who the best man is and I never understood why that was a default.

If I recall correctly the burial details have a witness drop down menu. How many people know the witness names?

Victor

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 15 Aug 2020 18:36

I just used the edit button to remove all except Witness. Should I find another on an entry I will happily use edit to add the new role at that time and then remove it again after that use.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 15 Aug 2020 19:05

Best Man is only the 'default' because the drop-list is in alphabetical order as is often the case with custom lists.

The order can be changed simply by editing the title of each entry, without any side-effects.
e.g.
Add a digit or letter prefix to each entry to determine their order.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 15 Aug 2020 20:46

That's a work around though Mike as is mine BUT I have yet to come across anything other than Witness

Gardengirl
Platinum

Post by Gardengirl » 15 Aug 2020 22:09

victor wrote:
15 Aug 2020 18:22
I will have to remember to do this next time I use it. Itis rare for anybody to know who the best man is and I never understood why that was a default.

If I recall correctly the burial details have a witness drop down menu. How many people know the witness names?

Victor
I’m very new to using Family Historian but I have used those other witness categories for people that I have found in newspaper write ups of weddings and funerals where there is often detail about guests, bridesmaid, mourners etc
Garden girl by day
Family History woman by night

NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Post by NickWalker » 15 Aug 2020 22:15

victor wrote:
15 Aug 2020 18:22

The list in AS just mimics the same list in Family Historian and is indeed in alphabetical order. If you were adding details of burials or cremations that you've been to then you could record the mourners, priest, etc. Indeed I've seen reports in newpapers for family burials in the 40s and 50s that list the people who attended.

Removing some of the associated individual types or renaming them as Jane and Mike suggest both work. It's not a big deal I think. I've spent a lifetime being at the end of lists and registers!
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

http://www.ancestralsources.com