* Places, Addresses and Notes

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
bbottomley
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Places, Addresses and Notes

Post by bbottomley » 08 Jul 2020 18:58

I'm interested to know how others deal with this issue.

Many of my ancestors' dwellings or places of note have been redeveloped over the passage of time into car parks or supermarkets or whatever. I'd like to be able to make reference to this when inputting facts but as far as I can see I am only able to do this using the Note associated with Place, there being no similar Note associated with Address. Place can also be associated with an image, but not, as far as I can see can an Address

If for example a single house i.e. an Address, has been developed or something else of interest, how can I record this without re-entering the information at every occurrence of the address? My interpretation of Place is of a larger geographical area, say an entire street or even a village or town which would not really describe a single building for the purposes outlined.

Open to suggestions, thanks
Brian

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Places, Addresses and Notes

Post by tatewise » 08 Jul 2020 19:15

This is associated with the often repeated discussion about what to put in the Place and Address fields.
It is for reasons such as you posted (and others) that some users have abandoned the Address field and put all the details in the Place field because it offers more options.

However, assuming you don't wish to go down that road :D you need to think in terms of shareable data structures,
i.e. shared linked Note records, or Media records, or Source Citations with the latter being most flexible.

Think of the information & pictures of the address today as source documentation of its evolution.
Create a Source record named after the Address and holding the data and attached photos, etc, then everywhere the Address appears add a Citation to that Source. The only thing that is less than ideal is that those Source details get addded to the Sources section in Reports some distance from the Facts involving the Address.

You could add a Media record to each Fact that uses the Address and add the data to the Notes of the Media record. The picture appears in Reports nearer the Fact but the only text will be the caption.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

bbottomley
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Re: Places, Addresses and Notes

Post by bbottomley » 08 Jul 2020 23:04

Mike
Discarding the Place as being 'All Things to all Men ( or persons if you prefer)' option, I had a try with the shared source via citation route and that seems to work quite well.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (41.25 KiB) Viewed 397 times
I just need to remember when a common Address comes up to check in the source list to see if I've already got a source for it! A common Place would have it already attached, ah well. ;)

Thanks
Brian