* Children out of sequence in focus window

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
res
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Children out of sequence in focus window

Post by res » 08 Jul 2020 15:49

Some of my individuals have children out of birth/baptism sequence in the focus window which also translates to the diagram. How do I correct this. I have tried reorder out of sequence data which tells me that a hundred or so have been reordered but the focus window still has them out of sequence. My original data set came from TMG but I have been adding further records since then.

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Children out of sequence in focus window

Post by tatewise » 08 Jul 2020 16:21

The Re-order Out-of-Sequence Data command in the Tools menu will work as long as the Individual records have BMD dates.

Otherwise, you must reorder them in the parent's Property Box Main tab using the up/down arrows.

See Knowledge Base > Sorting Children, Spouses & Facts into Order for full details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

res
Silver

Post by res » 08 Jul 2020 17:11

Thanks. I should have remembered the up/down arrows. There is a lot to take in!

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Post by E Wilcock » 09 Jul 2020 08:55

I find this one of the most infuriating things about fh.
One notices that the children are out of order.
Goes to the button to click to reorder and up comes a screen telling me the children are out of order. Which was exactly why one opened that screen in the first place.
The children could be reordered without asking a further question?
Also why does it say F9? If I hit F9 I get a windows 10 window.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 09 Jul 2020 10:07

The Re-order Out-of-Sequence Data command is multi-purpose with various options to cater for various user needs.
It does not know that you have spotted some Children are out of order. Also, there may be others you have not spotted.
So, first of all, it asks which Items to Check ~ Spouses, Children, Events and Attributes, etc.
It also asks if you want a Prompt for confirmation before each update.
If you leave that ticked then, yes, it will ask if you want the Children to be re-ordered. What else should FH do?
If you untick that option then FH won't ask a further question for confirmation.

Some users like to keep some data in non-chronological order (don't ask why) and that command allows that item by item.

F9 is the better option if you only want to re-order the Children in one family that you have spotted are out of order.
FH must be the program in focus otherwise F9 will perform whatever function is assigned by another program.
(It also relies on your PC system not having globally reassigned that function key.)
To do just one person's family you must select a parent in the Focus Window or Records Window and press F9 key, or if that has been reassigned then use the Edit > Re-order Events by Date command.
It confirms Spouses &/or Children &/or Events and Attributes are not in date order so that one click of OK will sort them all.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Post by E Wilcock » 10 Jul 2020 11:50

Thank you Mike. I didnt know that - nor the generalreordering command.