* Duplicate Individuals

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Billread
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Duplicate Individuals

Post by Billread » 01 Jul 2020 18:52

Hi Mike
used your duplicate Individuals Plugin for the first time, as a relative who was working on one part of the family took my FH gedcom, and somehow has introduced near 100 duplicate individuals. Most are almost identical data. A few have variations, like DOB, or where born. But I dont fancy trawling through 100 using merge /compare on two at a time. can i somehow select all the list to open at once in merge compare, or even perhaps simply once happy tell FH to merge or delete one set? ( I know I can go through the individuals list and select /delete one at a time).

I would also like to print a list of the duplicates, so the relative can view after and decide using the original messed up gedcom from their program to check they are happy with the details left in the 'saved' set of individuals.

I note that as i am not in a project, the plugin left a data file on my desktop. That doesnt seem to allow access in a format that can be used to produce a list. How is that data folder used after creation?

The relative uses Legacy, but looking at date stamps these duplicates appeared over about 5 different sessions
Thanks Bill Read

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Duplicate Individuals

Post by tatewise » 01 Jul 2020 20:48

It sounds like you are working on a standalone GEDCOM file exported by your relative from Legacy.

What were you hoping to do with that GEDCOM file?
I imagine you might be planning to merge it into your master Project perhaps?

As it says in the Plugin Help, you can print the Result Set produced by the Plugin or you can Save it as a PDF or CSV file.

The data file produced by the Plugin is its own private data set.

There are no features that could bulk merge 100 Individuals automatically, so you may have to be creative.
You can certainly bulk delete the Individual records you don't want to keep via a Named List as explained in the Knowledge Base > Delete Any Number of Records.
So perhaps do that for the ones that add no significant details and Record Merge the others in pairs.

If you eventually intend to File Merge this Legacy GEDCOM into your Project then beware...
See Knowledge Base > Import from Legacy Family Tree (LFT) that has advice on how to export from Legacy and tidy up the GEDCOM file. If your relative has not followed that advice then it would be better to go back and do so before spending too much time on the current GEDCOM. Otherwise, there will be much more that you have to adjust before using the File Merge.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Billread
Diamond

Post by Billread » 01 Jul 2020 21:52

Mike
I tried to print the results to file, to email, and its all gobbledy gook?

Earlier I also posted a question on the UDF plugin, as couldn't delete certain data fields after deleted the Uid's thanks
Bill

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 02 Jul 2020 10:29

The Plugin Result Set tab prints OK for me. What were you trying to print?
The Print, Print Preview, and Save Results to File options are underlined in red below.
BTW: I replied yesterday to your posting in Deleting UID fields (14313).

FindDupIndResultSetPrint.png
FindDupIndResultSetPrint.png (23.4 KiB) Viewed 491 times

Billread
Diamond

Post by Billread » 02 Jul 2020 11:08

Morning Mike
I was trying to print it from File Print, eventually, I figured that was wrong, and managed to output as a PDF. so thanks for that part.
know its a different post but
All I need to do now is find out how to delete the UID's still starred in Individual's data, I said what I was doing in my post on UDF's, if you could please look there for me I would appreciate it. as did the left column but still have many under right hand Record....Item Tag...Item Data Ref, been trying take a screenshot, but cannot!
Thanks
Bill

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 02 Jul 2020 11:23

The File > Print and File > Print Preview commands work just the same as the Result Set buttons I underlined in red.

Please discuss the deletion of UDF in the other posting.

Billread
Diamond

Post by Billread » 02 Jul 2020 11:42

I have Mike, I posted some screenshots there a minute ago. This one closed thanks Bill