* Hiding parts of a tree

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Parky
Family Historian: V6

Hiding parts of a tree

Post by Parky » 30 Jun 2020 13:40

Hi, I am very new to Family Historian, I have version 6.2 upgraded to version 7. I have successfully gedcom an old Family History family tree. The tree on Family Historian is very flexible but I can't see how to "hide" parts of the tree. There are brown dots above and below some 'branches' that I can click on to hide that branch, if I save the tree the hidden branch reappears next time I turn on the software. I don't want to lose these branches completely, just leave them hidden when I am working on the tree. Do I have to treat this as a separate project? Or is there an easier way to hide these branches?
I appreciate any help given.
Parky

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Hiding parts of a tree

Post by tatewise » 30 Jun 2020 14:19

Welcome to the FHUG Parky.

FYI: You have no doubt seen discussions about FH V7 but what you have installed is the latest FH V6 which is V6.2.7 because FH V7 will not be released until later this year with a big fanfare. See Update on V7 from Simon Orde (17850).

You have found one method for hiding branches of your tree by using Expansion Buttons.
You can also right-click on a box and choose Hide which will also hide any spouse and further Ancestors or Descendants.
In addition, you can use Diagram > Options > General tab and set Generations Up &/or Generations Down and those two settings will apply to all subsequent Diagrams.

However, the recommended way to preserve a carefully customised Diagram is to use Diagram > Save Diagram command or Diagram > Save Diagram As > Family Historian Chart to create a named FH Chart.
Such Diagram Charts are opened via View > Saved Charts.
Although they preserve your customisations they are not 'frozen' and any changes you make to your data will update the Chart box details and even add new relatives.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Parky
Family Historian: V6

Re: Hiding parts of a tree

Post by Parky » 30 Jun 2020 19:38

Hi tatewise. Many thanks for the various solutions. I will check out which suits best. Thank you.
Parky