* Exporting To Excel To Edit, Then Importing Back

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
Faisal2110
Family Historian: V6

Exporting To Excel To Edit, Then Importing Back

Post by Faisal2110 » 29 Jun 2020 18:10

Good evening.

Apologies but I am new to the program. I have find it quite easy to use although I am stil finding some issues but I'm getting there!

I have quite a large tree that spans a few countries. A relative has kindly stated that, if I can export the data for excel, he will kindly edit the dates and make changes to spellings of names etc and return the file to me. I have been trying to read up on this and find something about a query tool etc but not fully sure if this can be done. I'm assuming I somehow export to .csv, he edits and then import. Is it as simple as that? Can someone please advise how I can do this?

Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Exporting To Excel To Edit, Then Importing Back

Post by Valkrider » 29 Jun 2020 18:16

That is possible but would not be a recommended way of working. On export and on reimport you may lose some data you may lose media links etc.

If your relative can do the editing within 30 days he/she could use the free 30 day trial of FH to do the editing. Alternatively there are free genealogy programs that they could use such as Gramps and many others. However, using a different program to FH will not be an easy import process.

Decide on exactly how you want to do it and let us know and then specific advice can be given.

Mark1834
Famous

Post by Mark1834 » 30 Jun 2020 09:32

Another potential trap when moving data between applications is around character sets. This is particularly relevant when using characters that are specific to individual languages. Family Historian uses UTF-16 by default, which is very good at handling international characters, but many office-based programs such as Excel will have much simpler defaults, such as ASCII or ANSI. This will cause data loss and corruption, undoing the editing process and possibly even corrupting your original data.

As Valkrider points out, the most appropriate method will depend on whether your relative will be editing a few records or hundreds. In general, editing a copy of the data (either electronically or longhand) is safer, but more long-winded.
Mark Draper

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 30 Jun 2020 10:30

Mark, please explain your assertion that MS Word and Excel do not support Unicode (UTF-8 & UTF-16) characters.
In my experience, all modern office products fully support Unicode and have done so for many years.
I believe that FH was actually one of the later products to adopt Unicode.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Mark1834
Famous

Post by Mark1834 » 30 Jun 2020 11:00

I didn’t say they don’t support it. I said they may not by default. That is based on my early experience with importing a GEDCOM file into Excel and processing it with VBA. All the £ signs disappeared from my probate entries! I didn’t pursue exactly where the incompatibility was (the text import or the VBA processing) as I found a much better way to achieve the same thing via Python. With the right settings it’s probably fine - just don’t bet your database on everything being set up correctly!
Mark Draper

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 30 Jun 2020 11:14

I suspect things have moved on, or as you say perhaps the problem was elsewhere.
As far as I am aware Unicode is now widely supported by default.
I have done nothing in Windows 10 with Office 365 to change any character mode settings.
However, there is a technique for maintaining Unicode characters in CSV files migrated from FH to Excel as explained in Exporting query results to MS Access (17886).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Mark1834
Famous

Post by Mark1834 » 30 Jun 2020 15:29

And that is the key general point - it is not sufficient to just support a format or character set. When copying data between applications as text files, both applications have to be set to use the same character set (and date format, to avoid m/d/y - d/m/y - y/m/d corruptions), otherwise data loss and corruption can occur. Not all applications will have the same default settings.
Mark Draper