* Deleting Media?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
PeterPowell
Family Historian: V6.2

Deleting Media?

Post by PeterPowell » 24 May 2020 14:36

Hi,
Not sure if this is possible, but I'm sure somebody will kindly help if it is...

I have looked through the forum, but seem to be finding information on splitting the tree in the answers rather than what I'm looking for...

I've been using FH 6.2.7 for some time and have added about 40 images into media.... I haven't used the programme for 12 months or so. Because of the current pandemic allowing me more time, I have started doing a little research again and have been using FH.

On coming back into the programme I've found that most if not all the media images are missing. I gather this is because I've moved things around within the file structure and the file links are now incorrect. (Moved things onto a portable USB hard drive to give me extra capacity)

Anyway, I've used Tools>External file links>Auto repair links on the advice of a Facebook group contributor and this found about 34 of the 40 images I think... (Some must have been deleted at some point.)

What I'd like to do though, is start a fresh by deleting all the media images.... Can anybody advise if 1 this is possible and 2 what should I do ?

TIA
Peter

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Deleting Media?

Post by tatewise » 24 May 2020 15:03

Welcome to the FHUG Peter.

Your analysis is correct. If you move or delete media files that are external to your Project folder then FH will lose track of where they are located and put X broken link icons in their place.
That is why it is advisable to copy media files into the Media folder within the Project.
Then the Project can be moved and take its Media with it.
Also, those Media are included in the FH Project Backups but external media files are not.

Yes, it is possible to delete the media files and the Media Records within the FH GEDCOM but why do that?
The media files can be moved into the Media folder of the Project and managed there.
Any missing media can easily be detected due to the X broken link icons.

If you delete the Media Records you lose track of what they were linked to, which may be important.

Some users of FH take a while to understand the association between Media Records inside the database (GEDCOM file) and the linked media files held in Windows folders.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

PeterPowell

Post by PeterPowell » 24 May 2020 15:14

Thanks for the reply Mike (tatewise),

of the images I have, many are of living people. Probably half of the 30 or so, with the rest being census images or birth/marriage/death certificates. Of the people images many are of my children when they were 7 or 8 and I'd like to update these images... I know I can add more images to the same record and then prioritize which order the images are viewed..... But, having rushed into this at the start it was done with little thought. I'd now like to be a little more considered on which images I use and feel starting over gives me the best option.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 24 May 2020 15:31

Ok, update the personal photos by all means, but why not keep the existing ones as a historical record?
Not only can they be prioritised, but also hidden from all but the Media tab of the Individual Property Box.

What about all the "census images or birth/marriage/death certificates"?
Presumably, they are linked to the Media tab of a Source record Property Box?

Are you planning to include all media files within the Media folder of the Project?

However, to delete Media follow the advice in Knowledge Base > Delete Any Number of Records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry