* Can't access my History

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
mikeroch
Family Historian: V2

Can't access my History

Post by mikeroch » 07 Apr 2020 18:30

I wonder if anyone can help please?

Approximately 15 years ago I was using FH Version 2.07 to record my family tree and since then I have had several changes of computer and am now using a Mac Computer.

I saved my tree onto a a plug in device, but when I now try to recover my tree, I am not getting anything!

I realise that I will have to get the latest FH to recover my tree, but is there anything else I need and will this work on my Mac computer.

Any comments most welcome. Thanks Mike

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Can't access my History

Post by tatewise » 07 Apr 2020 18:58

Welcome to the FHUG Mike. That is a long break!

Please give more specific details about what you have saved and how you are trying to recover it.
Actual file names and commands help us understand better what you are doing and thereby help you quicker.

I am guessing, but was what you saved a GEDCOM file, and did it have any accompanying Media files?
OR perhaps you used a Backup command in FH V2 that produced a compressed zipped folder?
OR maybe you just saved a Diagram image of your tree?
However, few of them will mean anything to the Mac computer software.

Will FH V6 work on your Mac computer? ( Forget about FH V2 that definitely won't work. )
The short answer is NO, because the FH program only runs under the Windows operating system.
The longer answer is maybe if you are prepared to spend time, effort and perhaps money on an emulator solution.
The cheapest solutions are free (apart from the FH V6 licence) but the easier solutions need money.
See Knowledge Base > Family Historian on Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, etc that summarises the options and post back here with your follow up questions ~ I guarantee you will have some :D
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

mikeroch

Post by mikeroch » 08 Apr 2020 19:43

Hi Mike,

I appreciate your help.

You are correct and I have GEDCOM files on a flash drive which now date back to 2008. I've looked at the Knowledge Base and it looks really complicated and I am therefore thinking about other options.

One option is to load FH version 6 onto a laptop with Windows and then download my GEDCOM files from the flash drive - do you think this would work?

As you've probably gathered, I am not a wizz at this and am looking for a simple and hopefully successful solution.

Many thanks,

Mike

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 08 Apr 2020 20:46

Yes, getting FH V6 to run on a Mac requires a modicum of computer literacy.

Certainly the simplest approach is a Windows laptop/desktop PC with FH V6 installed.
That will in all probability be able to import your old GEDCOM files from a flash drive.

You did not say anything about any accompanying Media files.

What do you see as your long term plans?
Are you intending to run FH V6 on a Windows laptop indefinitely?
This is one of the most expensive solutions but by far the easiest.

mikeroch

Post by mikeroch » 09 Apr 2020 09:24

Thanks Mike and that confirms what I thought about going down the Window route.

I haven't thought about using any other software other than FH V6, what would you suggest to be the best alternatives?

Many thanks,

Mike

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 09 Apr 2020 09:55

You have still said nothing about whether you have saved Media files or not ! ! ! !

I presume you are asking about alternatives that run on a Mac?
I cannot recommend any for several reasons:
  1. I don't have a Mac to trial such programs
  2. GEDCOM Assessment of MacFamilyTree is among the worst of 17 products
    See https://www.gedcomassessment.com/en/comparison-gp.htm
  3. Many Mac users prefer the complications of running FH in emulation on a Mac rather than a native Mac program
The only other option is an online Family Tree builder in say Ancestry, FindMyPast, ZoomPast, etc, but none come close to challenging the features of FH.

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 09 Apr 2020 11:26

I moved from Windows laptop to a Mac laptop some years ago and kept my Windows desktop. I got FH up and running on the Mac laptop using Crossover and after some tinkering (detailed in the KB) I got it running fine, and as Crossover has been updated the issues have become almost non-existent.

I then changed my Windows desktop for an iMac and have not regretted it. I use a Virtual Machine (VM) running Windows 10 (was running Win 7 until recently) as the iMac is a high spec, unlike the laptop, a VM runs fine but of course does take a while to boot into the Mac OS. If I need a quick and dirty look at my research when the VM is not running I have FH in PlayOnMac which boots quickly for a quick look at data but I do not use it for data entry other than to answer questions on this forum concerning POM.

I have tried the majority of the Mac genealogy programmes and none of them, in my experience, come anywhere close to Family Historian hence me continuing to use Family Historian. As a long term PAF user before I switched to FH I tried Ancestral Quest and it is not bad although it does have some limitations not least of which is it is actually a Windows programme wrapped in Crossover, the same is true of Roots Magic. The native Mac programmes such as Mac Family Tree, Heredis and Reunion are not a patch on Family Historian, in my experience, by and large the gedcom's they produce are far from standards compliant and so create issues moving from one programme to another.

Would I change from Family Historian to any of these no but YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

mjashby
Superstar

Post by mjashby » 09 Apr 2020 13:12

@mikeroch,

As another Mac User (MacBookPro) I think you need to make some key decisions:

- Do you want/prefer to run wholly on Mac or operate a Windows Computer separately?
- If wholly on Mac, are you willing to consider running a Windows system on your Mac System either via dual-booting Mac and Windows via Apple's 'Boot Camp' software or as a Virtual Machine using third party software? Parallels, VMWare or VirtualBox (Parallels & VMWare cost money, whereas VirtualBox is Freeware)
- The other option depends on what version of MacOS you are using. If it's Catalina (10.15.x) then there is only one currently available option, i.e. Crossover for running Family Historian. PlayOnMac does not work on the latest version of MacOS (Catalina) and probably never will, as the developers are more focussed on their replacement for PlayOnMac - Phoenicis, a Java-based, i.e. requires the Java Runtime System, but doesn't work on Catalina yet.

As far as native Mac Genealogy products go, I have tested most products currently available and haven't found any that come close to providing the feature set/capability/flexibility of Family Historian 6, although some Mac users would probably argue differently. Most native MacOS genealogy products also cost significantly more than pure Windows releases, probably because of a much smaller user-base.

There are two MacOS products that use native GEDCOM files to store data:
- GEDitCOM (Commercial product and about twice the cost of Family Historian)
- Ancestris (Freeware - needs Java)

RootsMagic is currently developing a new version (RootMagic 8) to run natively on Windows and MacOS, but this has been in development for almost 18months and there is no confirmed (or rumoured) release date. RootsMagic 7 is a Windows only product, but there is a download available that can run on MacOS. This is developed for RootsMagic Inc. using Crossover, but does not require a Crossover software purchase/install.

Mervyn

mikeroch

Post by mikeroch » 10 Apr 2020 08:35

Many thanks for all your suggestions and I will investigate all the options.

Again thank you.

Mike