* Photograph tree

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Photograph tree

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi,
I have put this under "General" as it is only an idea and wondered if members had any thoughts or had tried it.

Our son is a professional musician and often after concerts members of the audience will say to us "Isn't he just like his Dad". When he was born I would totally agree. However as he has got older I think he is becoming more like my Dad. Having done a DNA course recently and looking at how the different types of DNA are handed down, last night I was thinking about physical characteristics and who had inherited which from whom. I thought it would be interesting to construct a tree diagram, with just faces, no names as I know who they are. The images would need to be quite close together to compare the physical features. Has anyone tried this and is it possible?

I don't work much with diagrams as I can't do with wizzing to and fro across the screen, (not a criticism of FH just that computer screen not big enough) I like to see things as a whole. I would probably not use the photos which appear for each person so would need to change each person's media priority.

Any thoughts would be of interest
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Photograph tree

Post by tatewise »

I have not built such a tree, but have some tips for choosing the face photos, etc.

For the Individuals involved, ensure their Media tab face image you want to use has the lowest preference, i.e. the highest Pref number. It does not matter if they do not all use the same number. They can repeat a higher preference image if necessary, and to omit from Reports tick the Exclude from Reports option.

Then on the Diagram > Options > Pictures tab set the Preference to 9th or higher, and the face image you put last for each person will get shown in their box.
Use Diagram > Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type to preserve that (and any other) settings and give it the Custom Diagram Name of Photograph Tree.
Then in future use View > Custom Diagram Type > Photograph Tree to display that tree.

On the Diagram > Options > Text tab you will probably want to Clone say Name Only as Photograph Tree and Edit to delete the Name item so no text appears in the boxes.

Also on the Diagram > Options > Pictures tab set Picture Position to Within the Text which will centre the image within each box.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Unlike Mike, I always make the picture I want to display in diagrams the 1st preference, then it doesn't matter how many more pictures I add later. This sometimes means it is a duplicate of a picture which appears again further down the list of preferences. In that case the 1st preference picture is set to Exclude from Reports.

It does appear first in the Focus window but as I hardly use the Focus window that doesn't bother me, and anyway it's usually my 'key' picture of the individual so I'm happy with that. If there is a duplicte picture and you don't want both to appear in the Focus window, just set the duplicate to Exclude from Diagrams.

You can adjust the distance between some of the boxes using the Diagram Options > Dimensions tab, but it might be easier just to increase the Maximum Picture Height on the Pictures tab, to enlarge all the pictures compared with the distances between them.

As Mike syas, you can clone a text scheme and then delete even the name from the text if you want to, then save it as a Custom Diagram Type.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ann said she would probably not use the photos which appear for each person so would need to change each person's media priority and therefore does not want to change the usual 1st Preference image that appears in Reports, etc, but wants to use a different image just for this Photograph tree. That is why I suggested putting that one last and using the 9th Preference in the Diagram, which automatically chooses the last image.

I agree there are various dimensions that can be adjusted to tailor the boxes just the way you want them, including moving them closer together that we have not discussed yet.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Yes, but she also said she doesn't work much with diagrams, so I assumed she meant she would probably not use the photos which appear for each person in reports. Simply setting the 1st preference picture to Exclude from Reports achieves that.
I suggested putting that one last and using the 9th Preference in the Diagram, which automatically chooses the last image.
No it doesn't. Not if you have more than 9 images! That's why I prefer to use the 1st image. It then doesn't matter if I add a lot more images later.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I know we are splitting hairs, but originally I said 9th or higher and so you could enter 9999 which does choose the last.
(I had rashly assume people didn't have more than 9 images per person).

Ann said she doesn't work much with Diagrams, but that does not mean she never uses them.
If Ann wanted to produce regular Diagrams with essentially the same images as in Reports how could she do that?
A similar problem (as you mentioned) applies to the Focus Window images.
Choosing 2nd Preference would not work, unless absolutely every Individual with images had 1st Pref set to Exclude from Reports.

That is why I left all the high preference (low number) settings alone, and worked on the last preference concept.
Using that technique works for anyone whatever their Diagram, Report, Focus Window priorities.
Also it is only needed for the Individuals appearing in the Photograph tree.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Thank you Mike and Lorna for your help.
I will try over the next few days to see if I can carry out the instructions. If I am successful I will post a screen shot. I have been collecting some head shots on in my LibreOffice drawing section and it is looking to be an interesting exercise so in a tree would be smashing.
Thank you
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families