* Linking multimedia to Residence fact

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Frankie1966
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Linking multimedia to Residence fact

Post by Frankie1966 » 20 Dec 2016 01:16

I've figured I can't link a photo of a house to "Address" which is what I want to do. So as an alternative, I'm linking photograph of house to Residence fact, which works ok and puts the picture where I want it on reports.

Is there a fast way to replicate the links and link notes to all the people who lived at that address? The way I'm doing it is very laborious.... linking Fact to photo, then having to go back to add in Note to link and mark use Note as caption. I can't seem to call up the photo in Media and link to several people's residence facts (I could link the same family photo to each individual in that photo - but there are limited options available and Residence fact isn't one of them).

I've seen suggestions to use the photo as a Source and link the media to that - I can see how that would work, but where would it put the picture on reports - at the bottom within the sources? If so, that's not how I want it - I want it at the top with the blurb about the person so I might be stuck with linking media to Residence.

Thank you!

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Linking multimedia to Residence fact

Post by tatewise » 20 Dec 2016 10:04

Frankie, you clearly understand the pros & cons of linking Media for an Address. Either link it to a Residence fact or use a Source Citation, and you are correct about where it will appear in Reports.

Another option that some have adopted, is to abandon the Address field, and put everything in a multi-column Place field, then the Media and Notes can be applied to the Place record, which will be automatically shared by facts with that Place name.

Regarding the replication of the Residence fact with its Media and Notes, you can use the Copy and Paste buttons in the Facts tab next to the Add Fact button. If the Residence fact already exists in the target Facts tab, then you will have to manually transfer details from old fact to new fact and Delete the old fact.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Frankie1966
Gold

Post by Frankie1966 » 20 Dec 2016 18:19

Thanks Mike - really helpful.

Yes, the Residences are already input, so seems there's no quicker way (at least I know I'm not wasting my time)! I think maybe I will stick with that, laborious as it is, as it allows different Notes /Captions for the different Individuals (the one I'm working on is a pub the family had - so Residence is accurate for all, but the father was the Publican which could be added to the Note rather than linking photo again to Occupation (and ending up with two of the same photo in the report).

I never really did understand why there's both Place and Address and not just Place for both - I guess there must be a reason but it's bugged me for years how Place can be linked, but Address has to be typed in every time.

I can see why some are just using Place for both. Not sure what you mean by "multi-column" Place field.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 20 Dec 2016 20:24

See Knowledge Base > Places and Addresses which is one of the Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers you were advised to study in your first posting Removing reviewed Findmypast hints (14328).

You say: "it's bugged me for years how Place can be linked, but Address has to be typed in every time."
It can't be that long, because only FH V6 has linked Place records, and you only upgraded last month!
The Address does not have to be typed in any more than the Place does.
They both auto-complete with respect to existing entries, and are managed in Tools > Work with Data.
Both Address and Place have comma separated multi-column parts as per Tools > Work with Data.
It is recommended that each column part has a designated role, i.e. house, street, district, town, county, country.
The =TextPart() function is designed primarily to help with the presentation of place information in reports, etc.

Frankie1966
Gold

Post by Frankie1966 » 20 Dec 2016 23:57

I didn't phrase that very well, linked wasn't what I meant and I can't explain it with the right technical words. It was an aside anyway, and not worth arguing about.

I found the address and place tools a different way, but takes me to the same point.

I have looked at the Knowledge Base but it doesn't all make sense to me. Mike, we're not all as smart as you, nor have as much free time as we'd like to explore things in depth - this is why we ask the experts. It would be great to be able to continue to ask questions without being made to feel stupid.

Thanks once again - your knowledge is clearly excellent and I appreciate your help.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 21 Dec 2016 10:55

Sorry, I forgot to say that you can also get to the Work with Data dialogues via the Place and Address edit [...] buttons.

The fundamental reason why there are both Place and Address fields is they are required by the GEDCOM specification, and FH is 100% compatible with GEDCOM. Some other genealogy products are less compatible, and disregard the Address field, which poses a challenge when migrating data from one to the other.

There are also structural differences.
The Place field is a single line of text with its parts separated only by commas.
The Address field is a multi-line long text field with its parts separated by commas or newline, as in an Address Label.
It also supports sub-fields for 1st line of Address, 2nd line of Address, City, State, Postcode, and Country.

Frankie1966
Gold

Post by Frankie1966 » 21 Dec 2016 18:03

Yes, that's where I found the Work with Data - using the Edit buttons. (Played around with that a little - I like the ability to merge to create consistency in Places and Addresses).

The GEDCOM specification makes sense - thanks for the explanation, Mike.