* How do you organise your Paper Records?

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
David_Lewis
Famous
Family Historian: V5

How do you organise your Paper Records?

Post by David_Lewis »

When I first started accumulating certificates and Census records for our family Ancestors it became failrly obvious that I was going to need some sort of system for filing it all. I quickly cottoned on to the idea of using Ahnentafel numbers and bought a binder and a set of dividers numbered 1-31, Our childrens certificates are filed under 1 My records under 2, my wifes under 3 , etc etc. it means that if i want a paper copy of something related to a direct ancestor I can find it very easily.

Thats worked pretty well but Im now "branching out" and collecting paper records for aunts /uncles and their families as well as Great aunts/uncles and I was wondering how others filed those sorts of records.

I did think about using a numbering system based on "a cross between Ahnentafel and d'abbovile (sp) numbers for example My Eldest Brothers records would be filled under 4.1 ( My father is ahnentafel number 4 and my brother is his eldest child. His children then would be 4.1.1, 4.1.2 etc, My sister would be 4.2, and I would be 4.3
Similarly my Dad'd sister would be filed under 8.1

It looks as though it woulkd work but there must be better solutions How do others do it?
davidm_uk
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: How do you organise your Paper Records?

Post by davidm_uk »

My paper filing is a bit of a mess at the moment and I've got a "tuit" on my notice board to do something about this.

One approach I've considered, but only works if I have FH open at the time that I decide I want to find or file a bit of paper, is to just file things by the FH Individual Record ID. OK, there will be lots of spaces, but so what, and I could have some index dividers at 100, 200, 300 etc.

Then of course, what do I do with papers that cover more than one individual, or even more than one family! Since all of my paper records have scanned images on the PC which are linked to a source record, an alternative might be to index the paper copies using the Source Record ID, there aren't so many of these, and it's maybe a bit more logical.

Maybe that's the reason that I've never got a "round tuit" :roll:

I'll be interested to see what others think.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Essentially I file alphabetically by Primary SURNAME, Forenames so the records are in the same order as the FH Individual Records Window default order.

However, I do keep my own ancestor records separate from my wife's ancestor records.
This avoids interspersing my ancestor SURNAMES with her ancestor SURNAMES.
I use a few Family Tree Diagrams with minimum details as Index pages to help remember relationships.

One major exception is Census Records which I file by Census Year in Reference Id order.
This is because so many people/generations are mentioned on some Census Records that they don't belong to any one Individual.
Any other miscellaneous documents that don't belong to any one Individual are similarly filed.

BTW: The above system is closely aligned to the way I name Source and Multimedia records, where most records are named SURNAME, Forenames Year-Mmm-Day/Quarter Event etc, but Census records use Year Ref-Id SURNAME, Forename of head/key person.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I don't link paper files to individuals at all -- I file them under document type e.g. Civil Registration Certificate or will, and then with an ascending number in the order I obtained them. I scan all of them and link the image to the source, so I rarely (if ever) need to refer to the paper copy. In case I ever do need to refer to the original, I track the link between paper and electronic copy in GenQuiry. (I could also do this in a note in the Source record in FH).

(If I ever need to find my own birth certificate for non-genealogical purposes, I know it's Certificate/1 !)

I don't keep paper copies of anything except where the document first came into my hands as paper, and I'm considering revising even that policy. If I hold the original/unique copy of a document, I'll retain it in physical form. Otherwise, perhaps not...
ireneblackburn
Superstar
Family Historian: V6

Post by ireneblackburn »

A few years ago Jane recommended this link:

http://barrysblog.mygenshare.com/news/l ... olor_codes

It works for me
Irene

My family tree is full of nuts
rodit
Famous

Post by rodit »

I use the Circled 5 System also, using hanging folders for each family name with each generation in an individual manila folder within the hanging folder.
jeemo
Famous
Family Historian: V5

Post by jeemo »

As any record is a source, I file everything in folders in source numeric order (100 sources to a folder). Thus for any source, I can just take its number and refer to the appropriate record in the file. I name each source by its type; thus Certificate - Birth : Individual's Name; Certificate - Death : Individual's Name; Researcher : Name; Will - Individual's Name; etc. About once a month I produce a modified List Source Report. With this I can easily find any record without having the computer turned on.
John
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Website : http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... name1.html