* Viewing diagram - didn't marry / no children

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
akirk
Platinum
Family Historian: None

Viewing diagram - didn't marry / no children

Post by akirk »

Assuming that there were to be a method of noting that someone didn't marry / had no children, it would be useful to find a way in which this could show on the diagram.

Ideal for the 'No Children' option would be to draw a double line under their details demonstrating that there is no further line...

Alasdair Kirk

ID:646
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

I have a custom attribute for this which can be included in the diagram.
akirk
Platinum

Post by akirk »

Agree, a custom attribute would work, I think though that as this is such a common addition to members of a tree, and for all users of FH it would be worth having it as a small tick box in the properties detail tab, which can be used easily.

If one is adding an individual at a time it is not difficult or time-consuming to have extra steps, but if adding a lot of people (I have added several hundred in the last couple of days) then each extra step becomes a bore.

Also it is much neater to have a graphical representation so that you can spot where not to do any more research without having to read the text. My tree, if I print out an all in one is c. 26m x 160m, so much easier to be able to glance along and see where lines end.

regards

Alasdair Kirk
vliet
Famous

Post by vliet »

Where is this custom attribute, Jane? Can it be downloaded?
Nigel
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

In fact I have since found, there are standard attributes for number of marriages and number of children, so you can use these to record 0 marriages and 0 children.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

To add a custom attribute simply select custom attribute on the add dialog from the events tab and enter a name for the attribute when asked.

See page 61 of the 2.3 User manual for more information.
akirk
Platinum

Post by akirk »

Agree that standard attributes can be used - can close this thread, but cf other thread...

regards

Alasdair Kirk
akirk
Platinum

Post by akirk »

Just had a thought!

Currently the standard attribute is against each individual - would it possibly be of more value against the marriage / relationship?

Otherwise eg if the wife marries twice, how do you record 0 children against the second marriage while there were some from the first? Esp. if both partners marry...

Alasdair Kirk