* Book Size

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Senelstune

Book Size

Post by Senelstune »

Folks,

I am using the FH Publish Book feature and am trying to produce it in A4 size. I am down to the wire with the printer. I do not see where to set the page size to be A4 within FH.

I am finding that some diagrams that are produced by inserting a FH chart or an image seem to "slip" or "slide" over the boundaries (even though I have placed them safely in Settings - with the "Avoid Page Boundaries" checked) so that they go beyond the page boundaries, causing a small portion to disappear.

I'd appreciate any guidance, thank you.

john
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Book Size

Post by Jane »

The page size is taken from the currently selected printer, so it's best to set the printer to the FH PDF printer as the default printer and make sure the page size is set to A4 and set any margins you need for binding etc in the page set up.

When you add diagrams to the book you can do final adjustments in the book editor.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To check the printer, with the Book Window open displaying your Book, click Printer Setup in the righthand pane.
Ensure it says Family Historian PDF with page size A4.

With the Book > Edit Book window open, click Book Settings at the bottom and select the Page Layout tab.
There you can adjust the Margins to be smaller and might allow the Diagram to squeeze onto one page.

Be aware that Avoid Page Boundaries does NOT prevent a Diagram from going outside page boundaries.
What it does is ensure that only connecting lines between boxes go across page boundaries.
That setting will often make a Diagram larger, not smaller.
One way to make a Diagram a bit smaller is to use Diagram > Layout & Scaling > Diagram Scale which must not be confused with Zoom.

Usually, when a Diagram is added to a Book and it won't fit on one page, then it is spread over two pages, rather than portions disappearing. Are you saying they disappear on-screen, or only after they are saved to PDF/printed?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Thank you Jane and Mike.

I will make sure I use the FH Printer choice - and set to A4.

I have been using the scale slider in the book's own Select Chart Pages window. Is that a bad idea ? I had not realised that I can use Diagram > Layout & Scaling > Diagram Scale. This Layour & Scaling window and options is all new to me. I thought I knew what I was doing - but clearly, after 12 months on this project, not so. We live and learn.

I will give your suggestion a try - do the two methods produce different results ?

Thanks for your help and advice.

j
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, you can use the Edit Book features to Edit a Diagram and adjust its Scale and also Avoid Page Boundaries and Position on Page, which should allow it to be scaled and positioned within one page. See screenshot below.
Also the Options button provides access to most of the Diagram > Option settings.
Those all have a similar effect as the Diagram Window commands but only apply to the copy within the Book.
The Diagram Window has more controls to allow the boxes to be moved and sized such that it all fits on one page.

You have not explained how it causes "a small portion to disappear"?

BookDiagramScale.png
BookDiagramScale.png (55.64 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Yes I have been using the Select Chart Pages screen in the Settings for a particular page - and there on the RH side is the scale slider. So I have been adjusting the slider % to get the image onto one or 2 pages depending on what I want to see.

I then use the Position on Page button so as to enable the positioning of the image on the page(s). Then the Select page(s) button to identify the pages to be created for that chart, normally 1 - or 2 for a spread over two adjacent pages.

All is well so far.

However, when I come back to view the book, (or actually print it), I find that the image has "slipped" and is now occupying another page because it is now not fitted as originally located exactly where and how I saved it. As you say, the joining lines between say boxes on a chart stretch over the edges of the page and the estranged box in this case appears on the next page all by itself. This throws out of sync the remaining pagination which is not much of a problem for single page charts (which ger stretched over 2 pages) but really ctrates havoc with a open-book, double page (as the image is now spread over three pages).

What I am saying is that the "Position on Page" followed by the "Select Page" affirmation and "Avoid Page Boundaries" is checked, this combination is not retained. It is not absolute. It can be compromised - even though it looks alright at this point.

The only solution is to make the image smaller so that the edge of the page is not "threatened" by page boundaries, which in some cases is very annoying as an expensive print process and a presumed pagination may already be initiated - resulting in "disappointment".

Thanks for giving this little conundrum your attention.

john
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for that excellent description. I can now see how a fragment of a Diagram can disappear.
If a box does slip over the edge of a page, and that page is not selected, then that box is not included in the Book.

Always ensure Avoid Page Boundaries is ticked beforehand, because if left until after positioning on page, then it will very probably cause a box to slip over the edge.
Maybe in moving the cursor and switching from Position on Page to Select Page somehow the Diagram is caused to slip slightly. Instead, try leaving Position on Page selected and click the Select All button to highlight and thus include all pages. If a box does slip over the edge the extra highlighted page will be much more obvious.

Before actually printing, it may be worth reviewing the Diagram pages, in particular, to ensure the pagination is correct.
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Sound advice Mike.

I will try that. I think it may be the sequence as you suggest.

Will let you know.

john