* Add GRO Source plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
gsward
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Add GRO Source plugin

Post by gsward »

Could I request an update to the Add GRO Source plugin. Now that we have the GRO index online with age at death information (which was not previously on freeBMD), would it be possible to add the age field?

A couple of "nice to haves" in addition, would be if the selection of Birth, Marriage, Death was linked to the previously set up sources. Occasionally I end up with the data attached to the wrong source! The "icing on the cake" would be if the Registration District linked to the places list.

Thanks,

Graham
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Add GRO Source plugin

Post by Jane »

The place is a step too far and I suspect it would be better to add a prompt for the Place if it needs it to create the event, mainly as I think it's better to have the citation show as on the Index rather than an expanded place.
e.g
Liverpool N,
Liverpool
West Derby etc
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Thank you. That works well for me and you have added the maiden name too of course. If you have not done so already it should go into the Plugin Store.

Graham
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I had an idea for the Place names.

If it's going to add a Place to an Event this version prompts all matching Place names in a drop down and includes the option to type in a new one if needed.

I could have prompted the whole list, but it seemed more sensible to only include ones which contained the Registration district name.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

By chance I tried this Plugin on a Project where the selected Individual had unusual characters in his Name.
e.g. % and UTF-8 accented letters and symbols.

The % causes the iup.GetParam function call to display nothing and always return false.

The fix is to use strName = strName:gsub("%%","%%%%") to replace any % with double %%.

To handle the UTF-8 accented letters and symbols correctly needs:

Code: Select all

require("iuplua")
if fhGetAppVersion() > 5 then
	fhSetStringEncoding("UTF-8")
	iup.SetGlobal("UTF8MODE","YES")
	iup.SetGlobal("UTF8MODE_FILE","NO")
end
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Thanks Mike, I have added that in.
Jane
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

This is what I like about FH, I actually struggle to think of many (any?) software products that are so well supported.

Thanks

Graham
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane, you forgot to incorporate strName = strName:gsub("%%","%%%%") to fix % in Name which is necessary as explained in IUP documentation for IupParam - Notes:
text is a descriptive text, to be placed to the left of the entry field in a label. It can contains any string, but to contain a '%' must use two characters "%%" to avoid conflict with the type separator.
e.g.

Code: Select all

if #ptrList == 1 then
    strName = fhGetItemText(ptrList[1],'~.NAME'):gsub('%%','%%%%')
    strName = 'Current Record: '..strName..' ('..fhCallBuiltInFunction('LifeDates',ptrList[1])..') '
else
    strName = 'No record selected'
end
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Never seen a % in a name!

I'll have a look later
Jane
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Agreed, but I like to make things foolproof, and it is tip worth remembering for any iup.GetParam(...) dialogue.
It is one of those things that is difficult to anticipate until it strikes with unusual user data.
Users do employ unusual characters in Names to indicate missing or unknown components, etc, so why not %?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have escaped the name and all the places in the drop down
Attachments
Add GRO Source.fh_lua
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Jane
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Forum

I'm trying to use the Add GRO Source plugin recently discussed. I have created the 3 required Source records, see image 1.
But I'm getting the error message, see image 2.

Can someone please guide me as to what I'm doing wrong, or what might be wrong?

Many thanks

David
Attachments
image 1
image 1
Capture1.JPG (52.06 KiB) Viewed 13535 times
image 2
image 2
Capture.JPG (71.48 KiB) Viewed 13535 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I get that error if less than 3 of the Birth/Marriage/Death GRO Index source records are selected in the right-hand pane of the Select Records dialogue, as illustrated below.

The Plugin ought to check for that, so I have made a tiny tweak that Jane can incorporate in the published version.
See Attachment below.
[ EDIT: Attachment deleted as superseded by later attachments. ]
GROIndexSources.png
GROIndexSources.png (9.95 KiB) Viewed 13533 times
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the quick response. I have installed your tweaked version but now I get this message. See image.
I have provided a larger view of the Individual I'm testing this with. Maybe it's how I'm using the Plug-In?
Are there more step by step instructions available?

Thank You
David
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (203.39 KiB) Viewed 13530 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When you run the Plugin you should get a prompt:
"Please select up to 3 sources, in the order Birth , Marriage, Death"

( Although that says up to 3 sources, the script only works correctly with 3 selected, which is what I've tweaked. )

After clicking OK you should get a Select Records dialogue in which you select the 3 Source records:
( Your screenshot shows a Source being selected in the Property Box yellow Sources For pane :? )

SelectRecordsDialogue.png
SelectRecordsDialogue.png (57.05 KiB) Viewed 13521 times
Then after clicking OK with 3 selected Source records in the right-hand pane, the Plugin dialogue should appear showing the 3 matching Record Id:

AddGROentry.png
AddGROentry.png (17.24 KiB) Viewed 13521 times
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you Mike. Those instructions solved the problem. User Error
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Jane

Would it be possible to allow a user entered Date in the Set Entry Date field, so options would include Yes / No or specific date? I like to enter the date of the Source Citation itself as in Q2 1960 rather than the date I entered the Source Citation details into the database.
Also would you support the idea that the GRO citation should/could be added to the individuals Name as well as the Birth Fact?

Kind regards

David Potter
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Jane

I expect you are very busy but is there a chance you could look into my last post on this Plug-In. I'm keen to start using it but would like to hear your response firstly.

Kind regards

David Potter
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Sorry I won't have time to customise the plug in for you, but you are welcome to change the plugin to do what you want.
Jane
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

No Problem Jane. And thanks for the reply. I wouldn't know where to start. :?

Queries then I have some idea, but Plug-Ins not a chance.

Kind regards

David Potter
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Forum

Any Plug-In experts out there? Jane built this Plug-In and is unable to make a change request I submitted due to time contraints. The original request is below, slightly reworded.

Request 1) Would it be possible that the GRO citation when created and assigned to the Birth Fact could be automatically added as a Citation to the individuals Name as well, or perhaps as an optional action chosen within the Plug-In?
When using the Plug-In I'm having to manually copy/paste the Citation to the Individuals Name as a Citation. See Image

Request 2) Would it be possible to allow a user entered Date in the Set Entry Date field, so options could include Yes / No or specific date? I like to enter the date of the Source Citation itself as in Q2 1960 rather than the date I entered the Source Citation details into the database.

Many thanks in Anticipation.

Kind regards

David Potter
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (144.89 KiB) Viewed 13145 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi David, I might be able to help.

However, in particular, your Request 1) needs some clarification.
It seems to be focussed on GRO Index Type: Birth but does it also apply to Marriage and Death?
For Marriage would it only apply to the Individual named at the top of the Plugin dialogue?
If the Individual has both Primary and Alternate names defined, does a choice need to be offered?

Your Request 2) is a bit easier and I guess suitable options for Set Entry Date would be:
None, Today, GRO Quarter
I think being able to enter any arbitratry date is going over the top.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I would ask one more question: Why is the "Name" that appears in the GRO Index not recorded in the source citation, i.e. What if the the name in GRO Index entry does not precisely match the PersonID Name? My own practice is to record index entries exactly as recorded in Text from Source - "Where within source" is irrelevant (IMO) because it's simply an alphabetical listing; unless it is used to record the Alpha Section and Page No. for the original GRO Books.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike thank you for the kind offer of assistance with this. Can I answer more fully tomorrow as I have some further ideas for both requests and only have my mobile phone just now.

Thank you once again, back soon

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am close to a working solution, but need guidance on the Name issues, etc.

Which Name fields should the Citation be linked against, and for which GRO Index types?
For GRO Marriage Index should Citation be linked to Family record or the Name fields of the spouses?

David, answers tomorrow will be fine.

Mervyn, why not add the Name into the Reference box along with the Volume & Page numbers, etc?
Then the Name will get included in the Citation.

Is an option needed to choose between Where within Source and Text From Source for those Reference details?