* Hints from FMP

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mallingman
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Hints from FMP

Post by mallingman »

I am new to F H but am a long term subscriber to FMP. I have disabled F H hints and have looked at and accepted several FMP hints on my F H tree.
My problem is I expected the Details box on the right to be updated for the individual when I accept the hint, it isn't, what am I missing please.
jbtapscott
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Hints from FMP

Post by jbtapscott »

The FMP hints are just that - Hints. There is no update of FH following receipt of a hint - it is for you to decide if a hint is indeed "correct" and then for you to enter it into AS or FH. Personally, I use the same process whether it is a hint or "normal" details that I find while search FMP - I print the page to PDF and then input the details to AS.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
mallingman
Gold

Post by mallingman »

Thank you.
mallingman
Gold

Post by mallingman »

I still don,t understand why if I am connected to Find My Past via Family Historian, I subscribe to FMP, why I have to type in all the information on the hint and not just accept it or reject it.
If I use FMP on its own and I accept a hint it automatically updates my tree on that site.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Have a look at "Internet Data Matching" in Family Historian Help which explains how the search of FindMyPast and MyHeritage works (and its limitations).

Hint: It's an automated search facility: FMP uses some of the key data in your local Family Historian file as you work through it and flags up Hints to possible data matches. The Hints are just that; FMP doesn't provide any way of transferring data to a Family Historian file or to any of the other products that provide similar links. In contrast, your online FMP tree is managed remotely on the FMP site and so does provide a method for linking sources and recording data, but only online.

Don't rely solely on FMP Hints as not all of the data available on FMP is reported by Hints and you could well find more information via direct searching of their database(s).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Also checkout how_to:internet_data_matches|> Internet Data Matches.
To get 'hints' you have to bring each person into the Focus Window one by one, which can get very tedious.
Also the 'hints' take no notice of whether you have already recorded the associated record within FH.
There are Plugins that perform more efficient searches for missing BMD & Census records.
i.e. Lookup Missing BMD Records and Lookup Missing Census Facts

It is much easier for FMP to integrate it 'hints' with adding records to your tree because it is all within one product.
A similar process happens within Ancestry and also MyHeritage, but there is no automatic way of adding records from one product to a tree in another product.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mallingman
Gold

Post by mallingman »

Thanks again Tatewise