* How to notate missing first name

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
USMC7312
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

How to notate missing first name

Post by USMC7312 »

For last names that are missing we use "//", do we have a similar symbol/notation for missing first names?
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: How to notate missing first name

Post by davidf »

If you have no first names but you have a last name say Rees-Smogg, if you enter

Code: Select all

/Rees-Smogg/
that will appear as a last name without first names
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

In Tools>Preferences>Property Box you can choose to Show Surnames Between Slashes either Only When Necessary or Always. With the first option the slashes round the surname are normally hidden but if there is no first name they are displayed in the Property Box for clarity.
Lorna
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I must confess that I enter unknown full names as Unknown /Surname/ or Firstname /Unknown/. This works well for me and enables easy output from queries and ordering in lists. I'm not aware on any downsides to this approach. Down to personal preference.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
Peter Collier
Famous

Post by Peter Collier »

Just for the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever I tend to use five underscores rather than any abbreviation or word:

_____ /surname/,

What I enter for surnames would depend on whether I would expect there to be a surname but I dont know it, or whether I know for sure that there isn't one:

firstname /_____/, or firstname //.

People in my tree who I know don't have surnames are some early Dutch settlers of New York (they used a patronymic system then, like Icelanders still do), and some of my wife's noble ancestors (I come from much more, erm, 'robust' stock!).

If this is just for your own use I think the best solution is, as always, "whatever works for you as long as you're consistent".
Peter Collier

Collier, Savory, Buckerfield, Edmonds, Low, Dungey, Lester, Chambers, Walshe, Moylan, Bradley, Connors, Udale, Wilson, Benfield, Downey
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I enter unknown names in one of these forms depending on what part I don't know.

? /Smith/
John /?/
? /?/

Bill
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I Use [] for missing first name and for unknown maiden name I use married name in square brackets ie [Smith]

John
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

johnmorrisoniom wrote: 14 Feb 2020 07:12 I Use [] for missing first name and for unknown maiden name I use married name in square brackets ie [Smith]

John
I do it this way too.

Whatever works best for you no right or wrong way.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

:( ww
johnmorrisoniom wrote: 14 Feb 2020 07:12 I Use [] for missing first name and for unknown maiden name I use married name in square brackets ie [Smith]

John
I also do this. For example [] /[]/ for someone redacted in the 39 register. Context is given by the source citation