* Named list disappearing

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
phil1953
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Named list disappearing

Post by phil1953 »

Using FH 6.2.7 on Windows 10. I have added my own lists onto the Named Lists tab. If my computer goes into sleep mode, the lists disappear. I can then regain them by restarting FH.
Also different problem but may be associated with above, when using Ancestral Sources, I have to close, then reopen my Project Window before the additions entered in Ancestral Sources takes effect. On my previous computer using Windows 7, I was given a notification that changes were going to take place. Welcome of any solutions.

Regards Phil
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Named list disappearing

Post by tatewise »

Hello Phil,
Firstly, my Windows 10 setup runs FH and AS exactly the same as with Windows 7.
So something else is causing the problems.

Can you please explain a bit more about Sleep Mode and Named Lists disappearing.
How does Windows 10 enter Sleep Mode and how do you wake it up?
What exactly is disappearing?
The Records Window, the Named Lists pane, all Named Lists in the pane, or the Records in the lists?
A screenshot might help ~ see info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics.

Maybe FH &/or AS have not installed entirely successfully, which may explain all your problems.
Was their any suspicion that they may not have installed OK?
Also did you follow the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
phil1953
Silver

Post by phil1953 »

Hello Mike,
Thanks for your prompt reply. My computer goes into Sleep mode if I don't use it for a little while. It restarts by pressing the ENTER key. When I start working again the problem seems to occur.
I enclose a screenshot after the computer goes to sleep & I restart working. As you can see, just the three standard named lists. I then close & restart FH , & my own added named lists reappear.
Ancestral Sources appeared to have installed correctly, but will try a re install.

Regards Phil
Attachments
After restarting FH
After restarting FH
Screenshot (2).png (193.43 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
After sleep mode
After sleep mode
Screenshot (1).png (197.69 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah! I had not thought of the Named Lists disappearing from that command :o
Instead of closing & opening FH, what happens if you switch to the Records Window and show Named Lists pane there?
What happens if that Records Window and Named Lists pane is on display when Windows goes to Sleep?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you select one of the lists which do show are all your lists there?

Does the menu then refresh?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have just tried using Sleep mode and Hibernate mode with FH on the Focus Window and it did not lose any Named Lists from that menu command.

So I suggest you reinstall FH over the existing installation.
It may even be best to do that in Safe Mode to ensure nothing is interfering with the installation process.
See how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#windows_safe_mode|> Windows Safe Mode for details.

Could you summarise your installation process with what media you use, etc, in case we can suggest any improvements.
phil1953
Silver

Post by phil1953 »

Hi Mike,

Put to sleep manually for a minute or so, & my Named Lists appear correctly.
However leaving for 5 minutes, they do not reappear.
Also, just noticed that the people I have in the standard 3 lists do not appear.
Tried going to RECORDS WINDOW as suggested, & they are not there.
If I leave in RECORDS WINDOW & put to sleep manually, they still don't appear.
I have just restarted FH & all my NAMED LISTS are there.
I'm going out now so will check tomorrow & see what happens.
Thanks for your assistance & will reply tomorrow.
Have also downloaded Ancestral Sources again, & that appears to be working OK in the Sample Project.

Phil
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I left my Windows 10 desktop with FH Focus Window open to Sleep by itself and came back hours later, woke it up, signed in, and FH Focus Window still showed View > Named Lists correctly with all 5 lists.

When you say AS is working OK, I guess you mean FH produces the popup message as it did in Windows 7?
phil1953
Silver

Post by phil1953 »

Hi Mike,
Sorry about delay replying. Re installed FH.
This time added New Lists from the Tools, Preferences, Named Lists & appears to be working fine. Previous time I added from Records View. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. Ancestral Sources is also notifying me there has been a change made in my tree.
Hopefully should be fine now.
Thanks for your assistance.
Phil
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

phil1953 wrote: 13 Feb 2020 13:31 Also different problem but may be associated with above, when using Ancestral Sources, I have to close, then reopen my Project Window before the additions entered in Ancestral Sources takes effect. On my previous computer using Windows 7, I was given a notification that changes were going to take place. Welcome of any solutions.
I see something similar to this on Windows 10 if:

I start Ancestral Sources from the tools menu
While entering data I switch to a different program to look at the information I need to enter (usually to look at an image or the information on say FindMyPast in the web browser)
I then complete the data entry in AS and "Close File" to send the data back to FH.

As FH wasn't the last application used it doesn't always recognise that the data has changed and give the message to reload.

If I then switch focus to any other running Windows application and back to FH it then does recognise that the file has changed and gives the message (so no need to close and re-open the project/AS application manually).
John Elvin
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

I have my Windows 10 set to ...

Windows > Settings > Power & Sleep > set Screen and Sleep to Never.

I can see a reason to implement Power & Sleep on a laptop using battery, but not otherwise.
Trevor Rix
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

jelv wrote: 19 Feb 2020 11:22 As FH wasn't the last application used it doesn't always recognise that the data has changed and give the message to reload.
Yes, if FH is not In Focus, i.e. not the currently active program, then it won't popup a message until it is In Focus.
That should be possible simply by clicking on the FH Window or the FH Taksbar icon.
You should not need to involve any other program.

BTW: AS does not send data to FH directly, but just writes to the same GEDCOM file as used by FH.
It is that GEDCOM file change that FH detects.