* FH6.2 will not open

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
J.A.Harrington
Family Historian: V6

FH6.2 will not open

Post by J.A.Harrington »

Although I am new to this forum, I have been using Family Historian for some years on both my desk top and laptop computers which run on Win 10. Recently I have not been able to open my desk top software, so I deleted the software then reinstalled from the CD followed by the downloaded upgrade to 6.2.7. It still will not open. I have AVG antivirus which I have also had since before installing FH.
Any advice please?

Thankyou,
John
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH6.2 will not open

Post by Jane »

The first thing to try if you can is to start your computer in Safe mode and see if FH will run.

If it does the most likely problem is an update to AVG. Try excluding the FH program folder from Real time scanning.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
MartinPage
Platinum

Post by MartinPage »

I've also been using FH for years and it now won't open. I've even tried opening it from fh.exe in Windows Explorer but nothing. I get the opening FH rectangle in the middle of the screen but then it goes away. I'm using Avast not AVG. Cheers, Martin.
Researching: Page, Upson, Rolfe, Hazledine & Thompson (Middlesbrough)
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Probably won't help you much but I have Windows 10 (fully updated, including the latest 11th Feb updates), fully updated Virus software (Kaspersky), Firewall, etc etc and all is well with FH, so, as Jane suggests check virus software. For info, Avast and AVG are owned by the same company and share the same underlying engine
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See the advice in how_to:family_historian_installation_problems|> Family Historian Installation Problems.
That explains how to enter Windows Safe Mode where you can run FH without anti-virus interference, etc.
Also see Family Historian Installs But Won't Run Properly caused by NVIDIA graphics card OEM drivers.

It will help us to know what version of Windows and exactly what version of anti-virus tool you are running.

Also if FH runs on one platform but not another, what are the significant differences?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
MartinPage
Platinum

Post by MartinPage »

I downloaded a few Windows 10 updates manually. They appeared to install. I then decided to restart the computer although there weren't any messages when it closed and reopened as happens with major updates. When computer was restarted I was able to open FH with no problems. Whether it was any thing to do with the Windows updates, I don't know. Thanks for all suggestions. :D
MartinPage
Platinum

Post by MartinPage »

I spoke too soon. I closed FH after adding a new person and saving. I then tried reopening it but now it won't load again. I've tried it several times. I haven't opened it in safe mode yet although as explained above, it did load after I'd restarted the PC in normal mode.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you don't get a Windows Notification (lower right) then there is no need to Restart.
To check successful installation use Start > Settings > Update and Security > View update history...

As a general rule I don't install Windows Updates soon after they are released.
I use Pause updates and let others be the guinea pigs ;)
MartinPage
Platinum

Post by MartinPage »

Jane, I tried it in Safe Mode and it worked fine. I made an 'exception' in Avast for the FH folder and now everything seems to be working. Thanks, Martin.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Fascinating, because I run FH V6.2.7 on Windows 10 with Avast Free Version 19.8.2393 (build 19.8.4257.552) and Virus definition version 200214-0 but do not need an exception for FH and never have.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

For those using Windows 10, don't forget you can remove your anti-virus and use Windows Defender which is free and integrated into Windows Security. It is now as good, if not better than most anti-virus software (especially free) and doing this will allow you to rule out if your problem lies with the anti-virus you are using or not. You can then reinstall your preferred software if that is found not to be the problem or not if you prefer the Microsoft free offering.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
MartinPage
Platinum

Post by MartinPage »

Again, I spoke too soon and still I couldn't open FH. I've removed Avast completely now and all seems well. Only time will tell.

Regards, Martin.