* Family Historian 4 on Windows 10

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gb4yzj
Gold
Family Historian: V4

Family Historian 4 on Windows 10

Post by gb4yzj »

At the moment I am using Windows 7 which no longer gets updates and have been asked if I want to upgrade to Windows 10 but I am worried that Family Historian 4 will not work in that.

Can anybody advice me please
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Family Historian 4 on Windows 10

Post by tatewise »

Yes, all version of Family Historian including V4 will run on Windows 10.

But just like Windows 7 is past its sell-by-date, so is Family Historian V4, and it would be wise to update to V7 when it is released later this year.

Who or what is asking you to upgrade to Windows 10?
Since you have Windows 7 there is a free upgrade path to Windows 10, so don't pay anyone any money.
Just follow the advice we can give you here.

BTW: Could you please perform a little housekeeping so that your version of FH is shown in your Profile on the right.
Click your username gb4yzj top right of this web page, and choose User Control Panel.
Then on its Profile tab, select your Family Historian Version 4 and scroll down to Submit.
That ensures we give the best answer to your question for your version of FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gb4yzj
Gold

Post by gb4yzj »

Thank you very much for your reply. It is the free upgrade to Windows 10. I have done as you told me and selected Family Historian 4
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The only free upgrade route uses the Download Windows 10 page Create Windows 10 installation media option.
It is not possible to upgrade directly from within Windows 7 because that free upgrade offer expired years ago.
gb4yzj
Gold

Post by gb4yzj »

I keep getting a thing up asking me to upgrade for free and am seriously thinking of doing it now.

I wonder if you could help me with something else. The reason I have not upgraded from FH 4 is that I find 4 a lot different to 3 in one thing in 3 you could get to the person you are looking at parents by just pressing a button but can't in 4.

I did put a message on here and was told to press the button for floating property box which did work but when I press on this now I lose the property box altogether and can't get it back so have to come out of the programme and load it again.

Can you help me on this please
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

gb4yzj wrote: 10 Feb 2020 10:57 one thing in 3 you could get to the person you are looking at parents by just pressing a button but can't in 4.
I don't really understand what you are asking for?

On the Property box in V4 is a small blue triangle pointing up which will take you to the parents of the currently selected person.

If you are in the Records Lists for V4 (or 6) you can do everything you could do in Version 3.
I keep getting a thing up asking me to upgrade for free and am seriously thinking of doing it now.
That won't be anything to do with Family Historian, that will be Windows.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

BTW For any one on Version 5 or below, who wants to upgrade, I recommend purchasing a full V6 licence direct from Calico Pie (or My-History) as you will get a free upgrade to V7 when it comes out.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please provide more details about the 'thing' asking you to upgrade for free. A screenshot would be good.
I don't believe there are any such automatic updates that are still effective. It may even be a scam.
See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics for advice about attaching screenshots.

I'm afraid my recollection of FH V4 is a little sketchy, which is another reason for upgrading, as there will be very few users who can help you with such details for a product that is 8 years old, and soon to be 3 major versions behind.

However, I'm sure FH V4 has a similar Parent Button to current FH V6 as shown below ringed in red.
See how_to:v4:property_dialogue_in_v4|> Property Box Dialogue Features that shows FH V4 with a blue triangle button for that function.
It also shows how to undock and dock the Property Box plus a few other features.

ParentButton.png
ParentButton.png (44.4 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
gb4yzj
Gold

Post by gb4yzj »

Thank you Thank you that has solved my problem. It is very much appreciated

I have also found as someone put on I cannot upgrade to Windows 10 for free so will stay with Windows 7
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

You can still upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 for free. Just follow these instructions. I have upgraded several installations during the last year with no problems.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 10-upgrade
Trevor Rix