* Gedcom export options

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
SilverSchnauzer
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Gedcom export options

Post by SilverSchnauzer »

I would like to export a GEDCOM file to a folder I create to hold the GEDCOM file. I have gone through the steps you described earlier in your post Gedcom export (15745), but my question is which file format do I use for the GEDCOM file. The default for file format that is selected when I go through these steps is UTF-8 file format. I do my usual backups to an external drive, but would like at this point in my research is create a new GEDCOM file with Family Historian. I am using Family Historian 6.2
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Gedcom export options

Post by tatewise »

It would help us if you can please explain in more detail what you want to do with the exported GEDCOM file.
Then we can give you the best advice.

Is it just for backup?
Is for importing into another genealogy program other than FH?
Is it for starting a new Project within FH?

If for a new Project in FH, what is the purpose of that new Project?
Does that new Project need Media files that were linked to the original Project?

FH will import any of the GEDCOM character encoding Format: options, but UTF-8 or Unicode are needed for preserving accented characters and special symbols.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
SilverSchnauzer
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by SilverSchnauzer »

The reason I want to export a GEDCOM file is for backup, just in case my computer hard drive crashes I want be able to import the GEDCOM if needed. I do regular backups to an external drive but would like to have the GEDCOM file as another backup just in case. I would also like to know what would be the best file format for my GEDCOM file.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

For backup you should use one of the FH backup options.
Use File > Backup/Restore and choose one of the three options:
  1. Small Backup for the GEDCOM file only without Media files
  2. Medium Backup for the Project data folder including the GEDCOM file and your linked Media image files
  3. Full Backup for the entire Project folder including all the above plus the Public folder
Save the resulting ZIP file on your external drive.

Those can each be restored using the File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup command.

There are also automatic Snapshots of your GEDCOM file via File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot.

See glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery for more details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry