* Name Suffixes in Records Window

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mardler
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Name Suffixes in Records Window

Post by mardler »

Hello folks. My issue is that I am seeing name suffixes in the Records Window causing all the Thomas HOWES Jrs to appear in a separate part of the list from the other Thomas HOWESes. With a large One-Name Study I have LOTS of opportunity for such confusion! Here's what I mean:
Thomas.JPG
Thomas.JPG (26.34 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
How can I fix this, please? I did see an earlier reply to the opposite question on how to add "Jr"s to people in that list which suggested making a separate column, since the first column (RecordID) is not supposed to be configurable. So I'm wondering whether I might have accidentally changed a default somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help
Paul
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Name Suffixes in Records Window

Post by BillH »

How do you have these names defined?

Do you by any chance have the "jr" in the name field rather than in the suffix field?

For example:

Thomas jr /Howes/
Thomas /Howes/ jr

Bill
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Yes Paul, I can see your problem.
If the Name is Thomas /Howes/ jr it sorts between Howes, Thomas Jo... and Howes, Thomas Ju...
If the Name is Thomas /Howes/ snr it sorts between Howes, Thomas Sp... and Howes, Thomas So...
Whereas you want it sorted with Howes, Thomas without a middle name.
I suspect most users don't have the problem because they don't have so many Individuals with very similar names.

There appear to be a couple of solutions.
  1. Enclose the suffix in brackets such as Thomas /Howes/ (jr) so it is listed as Howes, Thomas (jr)
    Then it is listed after all Howes, Thomas and before Howes, Thomas A...
  2. Move the suffix into the Suffix subfield via the more (+)... Names & Titles dialogue
    That Suffix will appear in most Reports just as before
    In Diagrams and elsewhere use %INDI.NAME:SUFFIXED% or %INDI.NAME:ADORNED_FULL%
    In the Records Window add a Suffix column using %INDI.NAME.NSFX% and position it immediately after the first column and before the Record Id column
I can go into a more detailed explanation if needed for either solution.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mardler
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by mardler »

Thank you, Mike and Bill. You have correctly realized that I had been putting the suffix directly into the name field as Thomas /Howes/ Jr.

I will move the name suffixes into the proper Name Suffix field. Seems the simplest solution. There aren't more than a few hundred! Last night I did the same with 250+ instances where I had words like Captain and Reverend as separate titles rather than Name Prefixes!

Let this be a lesson, for me and maybe other users! When I started using Family Historian I simply did what worked rather than spend valuable time reading the whole manual. Since then my database has more than doubled and problems with not doing things the right way have emerged.

Thanks again for your advice.
Paul