* Alignment of all-relatives diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
paulr1949
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Alignment of all-relatives diagram

Post by paulr1949 »

I am having an issue with a diagram I am trying to produce for my sister-in-law. The attachment shows the problem - I am trying to get Richard Rees 1841 in line with all his siblings. I am happy to have him out of "birth order" sequence and then have his spouse next to him on the same line. This, along with the other instances, would reduce the number of sheets of paper on a printout dramatically! I have read the help file through four times and I must be being thick because I still can't work out how (or if) I can do it. I haven't found any more information on this in the forum, and I cannot find anything immedioately in the knowledgebase. Any help gratefully accepted.
FH diagram query.JPG
FH diagram query.JPG (52.43 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
Paul
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Alignment of all-relatives diagram

Post by Jane »

Go to Diagram>Options and change the diagram style to "Flat" on the "General" tab. You may also want to tinker with the proxy box settings.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

Thanks Jane, the words "wood" and "trees" come to mind!
Paul
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

A further query (sorry!). I have changed the diagram style to flat. I have also played around with the proxy settings. Before I did that, I made the "duplicate boxes" hidden with the result below. Is there any way in which I can adjust the connecting line (dotted) between Margaret Liliam Rees and Richard Jones Rees so there isn't quite such a large gap (about half a page) between the two?
Diagram query 3.JPG
Diagram query 3.JPG (84.02 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
This is how it looks with the hidden boxes displayed. I still get the feeling that I am missing something simple!
Diagram query 2.JPG
Diagram query 2.JPG (113.03 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
I am going to play around with the proxy settings a bit more when I have some more time

thanks
Paul
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by LornaCraig »

The spacing is determined by the fact that the horizantal bar below Richard Jones Rees and his wife (the bar which connects their children) is very wide. Presumably this is because those children have a lot of descendants.

There are a couple of things you could try. First, try using the Box and Bar move to drag the bar to the right so Richard and his wife are not located centrally above it. Altenatively, if you don't mind having the children slightly lower in the diagram than their cousins, try dragging the bar downwards until it fits below their cousins Sonia and John Rees.
Lorna