* Show Project Statistics & Step-parents

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Show Project Statistics & Step-parents

Post by AdrianBruce »

Reminded by posts elsewhere, I decided to give the "Show Project Statistics" plug-in another run, having not tried it for a while.

One resulting mild irritant is that I have a number of "Fact date is earlier than the earliest estimated child birth date for the individual's father" messages that seem to be false positives. So far as I can see at first glance, all the false positives refer to children who are step-children in a second marriage, where the new spouse is somewhat younger.

For instance, Elizabeth Stretch is b1878 to James Stretch (b1854) and Sarah Pickstock (b1860). Elizabeth's 1881 census is being warned as being "...earlier than the earliest estimated child birth date..." Both parents' ages at Childbirth are set in Preferences / Estimates to 16, so there shouldn't be any issue with her birth parents. However, James dies in 1892 and Sarah remarries in 1893 - to William Hulse b abt 1868. Since Elizabeth remains with her mother, I have set her as a step-child in the family for Sarah's 2nd marriage.

I suspect that Elizabeth's 1881 census is being checked against both sets of parents - it'll be OK against her birth parents but her step-father William was only 13 at Elizabeth's 1881 census. I therefore assume that it's this step-father who is being warned about. Does anyone know if this is a correct diagnosis?

Now, I'm actually a bit stuck for a suggestion about how to get around the message. I can tell that she doesn't join that (step-)family until 1893, but I know that the message is also appearing for a totally different child where there isn't a marriage at all for the "step-parent" who just appears out of nowhere, so there's no explicit "joining date". I'm disinclined to suggest not looking at step-parents for these checks because surely in some cases one should look at them if they are part of the family at that time. Any bright ideas?

If I do check each alert and decide that it's a false positive - what's the best idea for saving my "OK it's a false positive" conclusion to carry forward against future runs of the "Show Project Statistics" plug-in? I know I can save the output from a specific run but that would need manual comparison to a future run. Is that the only option? (I get concerned that there are seriously big cans of worms here! :( )
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Show Project Statistics & Step-parents

Post by tatewise »

The first thing to recognise is these are only warnings, and that they may be false positives.
They are the same FH warnings that you would get if you were to enter those dated facts afresh.

Once you have reviewed a Fact Date is/period/range ... set of exceptions, remove its tick from the Plugin Options tab.
They are the ones shown in the Result Set help page as due to a Fact Date ... failing a data warning check.
That will inhibit such exception reports forever, as they are only needed retrospectively.
If any future data entry infringes the rules, then FH will produce a popup warning, so the Plugin exception reporting will never be required, because you will deal with each case as it arises.

BTW: You can open and close the Plugin and change the Options to filter the exception reports without needing to Update Statistics.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: Show Project Statistics & Step-parents

Post by AdrianBruce »

tatewise wrote: 29 Nov 2019 23:12 ... They are the same FH warnings that you would get if you were to enter those dated facts afresh. ...
Ah - I didn't realise that. I thought that the warnings were independently specified by your good self as plug-in author.
tatewise wrote: 29 Nov 2019 23:12 ... Once you have reviewed a Fact Date ... category of exceptions, remove its tick from the Plugin Options tab. That will inhibit such exception reports forever.
If any future data entry infringes the rules, then FH will produce a popup warning, so the Plugin exception reporting will never be required. ...
Yes, that makes eminent sense now I understand the linkage between the plug-ins checks and the native FH checks.

Thanks for that.
Adrian