* Cannot Add Link

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
KennethEvans
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Cannot Add Link

Post by KennethEvans »

I want add a link to a utility. I went to fhugdownloads:contents:add_link_form|> Add a Link to a Service or Utility form. I am logged in, see Edit boxes, and can edit.

I filled out the form but get a 403 (Forbidden) when I hit Submit.

This is the first thing I tried to do. I don't see what is wrong, but I am new to editing.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Cannot Add Link

Post by tatewise »

You seem to have run into a problem related to the one I reported in KB edit access blocked (17221) and appears to be due to over zealous virus protection.

We have fairly recently changed servers for the FHUG package, and yours may be the first time that Add Link features has been used since changeover. So leave it for the administrators (i.e. Jane) to investigate.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I logged this with Krystal and they have adjusted one of the security rules, so hopefully this will be resolved.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
KennethEvans
Diamond

Post by KennethEvans »

Works now. Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Congratulations Kenneth for creating the new Utility Link: fhugdownloads:contents:utility_pdfcreator_pdfforge|> Utility ~ PDFCreator (pdfforge)

Unfortunately, you did not check that such a Utility Link already exists: fhugdownloads:contents:pdfcreator|> Utility ~ PDF Creator
I know they are the same as https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/support refers to http://forums.pdfforge.org/

BTW: I did mention it already existed in PDF and Images for Medium to Large Diagrams (17219)

Feel free to update the existing entry with your new details.
As a general rule do not repeat what is said on the target web site, but link to the site instead.

Is https://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator a better download site than http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/?

When satisfactorily 'merged' your Utility Link can be deleted.
KennethEvans
Diamond

Post by KennethEvans »

I responded to this on the page with the original topic.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 061#p96061
KennethEvans
Diamond

Post by KennethEvans »

On thinking about it, I can fix it. I was thinking about deleting the old one. I see it was done in 2010. It would be better to update the old one as you suggested. My plan would be just to copy all the source from the new one, overwriting the old one. Let me know if this is ok.

I don't know how to delete the new one.

Let's keep further commumication about the Knowledgebase in this topic.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I accept that the old entry refers to an old version of PDF Creator and needs updating.
Here are my suggestions:
  • Update the two links in the old entry to refer to the new pdfforge website.
  • Update the Description in the old entry by copying key points from your new entry, but focus on unique features not available in other similar products, and let the pdfforge website describe the product.
  • Update the User Comments with your advice on the product's use in Family Historian, but include cross-reference links to how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram|> Single Page PDF of a Diagram, etc.
  • Take care not to upset the tag> entries at the bottom.
  • Finally delete your entry as explained in contributeyourknowledge:alternative_approach#create_and_manage_pages|> Contribute Your Knowledge > Create and Manage Pages.
KennethEvans
Diamond

Post by KennethEvans »

Ok, I have done that.

I didn't add any comparisons to other PDF Printers because I have little knowledge of them. For my needs any of them works fine. I have used PDFCreator for years. It works well and allows you to merge and rearrange documents and pages, a feature I have needed from time to time. I do recommend it.

I only got into the details of PDFCreator owing to issues with FH. The Family Historian PDF is a bad choice IMHO. It has the unnecessary size limitation, and it has hung on me several times. I have a 4K screen. FH registers as DPI_AWRE but doesn't do it right. The UI elements are too small to be usable. I have to run FH in Compatibility Mode, which makes it blurry but usable. Family Historian PDF runs in a separate, wrapper process, which does not have compatibility mode. Much of it's UI is unreadable., making it hard (but not impossible) to use (if you don't care about the messages at the top).

Having got into the details, it does solve quite nicely all the problems I ran into with both PDF and images in FH.

Hopefully this ends this task. It was interesting and hopefully will be of use to others. I spent more time on it than I really had available and need to get on to other commitments.

I think the Knowledgebase is a good idea. I found it easy to get up to speed with the editing and the editing to be convenient and easy to do. I would not have known it existed (at least in all its glory), however, were it not for your responses to my post.

And thanks for your help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I tend to agree that Family Historian PDF from Nova has certain limitations, but maybe the other PDF creators have licence restrictions and costs when used commercially as in FH, and Nova offered the best terms.

Can you explain a bit more about why you have to run FH in Compatibility Mode and exactly which version.

I am surprised you say you were unaware of the Knowledge Base as when you joined the FHUG you should have been sent a link to how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and advised to study that, which introduces the Knowledge Base and some important topics.

Your updates to fhugdownloads:contents:pdfcreator|> Utility ~ PDF Creator are excellent.
KennethEvans
Diamond

Post by KennethEvans »

Hi Mike,

I was not unaware of it. I tried to find some things, like a nicer diagram layout, but didn't find anything useful. What I didn't realize was the extent of what was there - like the articles I worked on.

Of the resources I used, the eBook from v5 was the most helpful. It's on my Kindle. The help isn't bad, either.

If I don't run in compatibility mode, the UI elements are too small to be seen and used easily. It says it is dpi-aware, which means the application does the scaling. But FH doesn't do it correctly for high-dpi screens. I could send a screen dump, if you are really interested (although I don't immediately see a way to do that on this forum). High-dpi screens are pretty common these days.

The next step up is per-monitor dpi aware, but that takes even more effort to implement correctly. I have a second display, which is 96 dpi, so I see when that isn't done correctly, too.

BTW I know how to do it, and have done so for my apps. I am not speaking off the top of my head, as they say.

Version is 6.2 ( as my profile states 8-) ).

Thank you for the compliment. What was there was well done, so there was a standard to meet. I assume you are responsible for much of it.

I also updated two other pages extensively, and added a third.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The method of attaching screenshots here is explained in info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics.

But since we are only a User Group there is little we can do about FH implementation.
So I suggest you report to the vendor Calico Pie using their how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting Support Centre Ticket System.
KennethEvans
Diamond

Post by KennethEvans »

Thanks for the link, another thing I didn't know about the Knowledgebase. I have already reported it through a support incident, not that way.

In spite of any complaining, FH works pretty well for me, and I am happy with it.