* Links on FH6-generated website

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
wulliam
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Links on FH6-generated website

Post by wulliam »

Hi,
I've hosted my own FH6 website for some time - http://imwe.co.uk/fh6_files/index.html
I've now also started a forum in the hope of making communication with numerous cousins easier (rather than just by email) - http://imwe.proboards.com/

I want to have links on my FH website which point to particular boards and threads on my forum. I've tried creating a custom fact to hold the URL of the relevant board/thread, but can't get the custom fact to appear in the FH6-generated pages.

Can anyone tell me what I'm failing to do?

Many thanks!
William
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Links on FH6-generated website

Post by tatewise »

Well the first question is does that custom fact appear in the Report you are using as the Primary Page Type at Step 3 in the Create a Website wizard? What type of report are you choosing?
In how_to:make_family_tree|> Make a Family Tree CD/DVD or Website see the advice within how_to:make_family_tree:step_3_choose_report_template|> Family Tree Wizard ~ Step 3 – Choose Report Template.
Most Report > Options usually include all facts by default (including custom facts), so have you changed the settings to only include some facts?

Having looked at your website, it seems you are using Family Group Sheet (for Web, CD or DVD).
But the variety of facts included seems restricted to just Birth, Baptism, Marriage, Census , Death & Burial.
So have to include the custom fact the Reports > Options need to add that fact to the List Only.

Once the custom facts are included, to activate the URL you must use the Improve Website or CD DVD HTML Plugin as advised in how_to:make_family_tree:text_field_url_hyperlinks|> Family Tree Tips ~ Text Field URL Hyperlinks.
Which field in that custom fact are you adding the URL ~ Perhaps the Note ?
Or is it a custom attribute and you add the URL as its value?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wulliam
Famous

Post by wulliam »

Many thanks, Mike - that's got me sorted out!
For what it's worth, the URL is in the note of the custom fact.

Now that it's working it's worth my while to go through my whole file carefully, putting in all the links - quite a job but hopefully worthwhile in the long term :)

Kind regards,
William
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I asked about which field, because not all are necessarily included in Reports.
For example the Note field can be optionally excluded and the Website field is never included, but the Attribute values are always included.

Is the URL actually an active hyperlink on your website? i.e. you ran the Plugin?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry