* Correcting Address Errors

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Julie
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Correcting Address Errors

Post by Julie »

I have a database of nearly 50,000 individuals consisting of lots of different family trees - some which connect to each other. I have discovered that I have incorrectly entered a few of the occupation details in the address field. [must have been late at night and tired lol! ] In the Tools/Work with Data/Address dialogue box they show as an 0 i.e. not being used. If I click on 'Where used' it only gives the same information, but not where it is used, and the Records button doesn't show anything. I can't merge it as I don't know the place or address. How can I correct them or just delete them from the list ?
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Correcting Address Errors

Post by LornaCraig »

Hi Julie,
Can you confirm that you are still using V5, as shown in your profile, and that you are definitely talking about Addresses, not Places?

In V6 any unused Address simply disappears from the list, and as far as I can remember this was also true in V5.

If you are using V6 and are referring to unused Place records, you can select them in the Records window to delete them. Either select one at a time and hit the delete key, or select them all and add to a Named List, then delete the Named List records.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

To correct your Profile, click your username Julie top right and choose User Control Panel. Then on its Profile tab, select your Family Historian Version and scroll down to Submit.

As Lorna says, it is not possible to have unused Address fields, or any other Work with Data fields except FH V6 Places.

If they are FH V6 Place records that are unused, then they can simply be deleted.
See how_to:delete_a_large_number_of_records|> Delete Any Number of Records for ways to do that.

Presumably after realising your mistake, you entered the Occupation in the correct field, and erased the Place field, which will leave unused Place records behind.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Julie
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by Julie »

Hi Lorna and Mike. I have just upgraded to V6 and hopefully it now shows in my profile. If I go to Tools/Work with Data/Places, and select one, then click on Records, it gives Place name and ID number. I couldn't work out why I couldn't edit or delete from there. I now realise that by noting the ID number I can search the new Places tab on the Records Window , which I hadn't noticed. Many thanks .