* Backup & Restore error

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Backup & Restore error

Post by ColinMc »

I had to install a new System Disk on my PC as the old SSD was too small. I deliberately chose to re-install Windows 10 rather than cloning the old disk to give me a nice clean new Windows 64 Install.

After I reinstalled FH, I then created a link between the Prog Data Folder and my OneDrive folder [All my FH data and Projects are securely on OneDrive so I can access on my laptop as well].

Next task was to use Backup & Restore Plugin to reset the settings. I did not have to re-install the plugin as it was already available in FH.

When I ran it, I got the following error
fh.jpg
fh.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
I've taken the conscious decision not to try and play with permissions until I got your thoughts in case I make the issue worse.

Thanks

Colin
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
ColinMc
Superstar

Re: Backup & Restore error

Post by ColinMc »

I've just tried running two other plugins which ran fine. Also just re-run Backup & Restore and it appears to be running fine.

Colin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I presume you have two 'FH shared folders' in OneDrive.
1) Family Historian Projects folder.
2) C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian settings folder.

One of the first things the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin does is to delete any old command batch file from C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Plugin Data\Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings.bat and it was that deletion that failed initially.
Perhaps OneDrive was still synchronising the files in that folder which invoked the permission denial.
Anyway I am glad it sorted itself out.

I guess the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin did not find much that needed Restoring since OneDrive would have provided your latest settings files. Only the Windows Registry FH settings might need restoring.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Yes you are right, I have those two folders on OneDrive (I actually have more as I have AS & Images on there as well.). All are properly backed up as well.

The net result is that I have in my FH folder alone, almost 7,000 files to synchronise (plus the other OneDrive non FH items). So although I don't have proof, I'm pretty sure that OneDrive would still have been synchronising at that point.

The fact that it ran subsequently would tend to confirm that.

I hadn't really thought about the fact that OneDrive would provide the bulk of the settings. It does seem poor that for a program which allows an enormous level of customisation across virtually every aspect of the product, that back-up and restore is not more simple. Ideally the next version of FH would ease this issue. But I didn't spot any sign of it on Simon Orde's Rootstech interview on Facebook.

Thanks very much for the help.

Colin