* FH on "Microsoft Surface" machine

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
paulrh
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

FH on "Microsoft Surface" machine

Post by paulrh »

Can someone possibly tell me if FH will run successfully on a "Microsoft Surface" tablet/laptop. I currently run FH on an iMac using "parallels" software to obtain a Microsoft working environment.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH on "Microsoft Surface" machine

Post by Jane »

As long as it's one of the "modern" surface computers which allow running of full Windows desktop apps you should be fine.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
paulrh
Silver

Post by paulrh »

Thank you Jane, I am sure I will be OK as I intend to buy a new "Surface" and will ask the question when purchasing.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

That should be fine, you will need to switch off "s" mode if the tablet comes with it turned on, as in s mode you can only run apps which are purchased via the Microsoft Store. It's free to switch off according to the MS site.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
paulrh
Silver

Post by paulrh »

Much needed knowledge, I wish I had it!! Many thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The only point I would make is that Surface laptops tend to have a fairly small screen which makes some aspects of FH difficult to use. Also I think they are expensive compared to many laptops.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I did an experiment some while ago and successfully ran FH on a Linx Windows tablet running Windows 8 (IIRC) but as @Mike said it wasn't ideal due to the screen size. I stored the project on a micro SD card due to the limited built in storage.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The modern surface have high resolution screens so can be used with Fh in combination with good eyesight/glasses or tweeking the fonts.
Jane
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Microsoft surface have a wide range. Some are quite basic tablet type. My daughter has one provided for work. It looks lovely but I dont think it runs full MS Office. Nor Windows 10.