* Splitting my husband's side of the family away from mine

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Splitting my husband's side of the family away from mine

Post by janefrances »

I wonder if I could ask for help with the above? I've read a couple of topics on the subject of using split tree helper and the plugin "All Pool Relatives Except Partner Ancestors" but not sure which one I should be thinking of using or indeed which boxes should be ticked or unticked.

I want to split all media and sources away from my husbands side but want to keep our children and grandchilden on both projects if this is possible? Many thanks :?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Splitting my husband's side of the family away from mine

Post by tatewise »

First, may I ask why you want to split, as it is not advisable on a permanent basis?

There are several reasons that mitigate against splitting nuclear families.
As you have indicated, all descendants become duplicated, so any updates must be entered twice and risk mistakes.
It becomes difficult if not impossible to identify distant common ancestors of yourself and your husband.
When it comes to creating Backups, and running some Plugins or Reports, they will have to be performed twice.
Running FH on two computers (17127) complicates things even further.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Hi Mike, Yes, the reason being that my husband is not at all intested in family history so I won't be inputting any more information on his side of the family at all. I just thought it would be easier if his side was completely separate from mine and if/or when any family members express an interest than it's there away from mine.

None of his ancestors have a common link to mine and as I won't be researching his side of the family any further back it really won't be an issue. On my side I've gone as far back as I can or want to get.

I'm quite happy using a USB pen for copying Windows 10 to my Windows 7 laptop until Jan 20 and after that I think my husband will end up with the Windows 7 laptop to put Linix on it :cry:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It sounds like you are not expecting to do any research on either your or your husband's side of the family, so why not just leave things as they are until some need arises?

But if sure you want to split, then the process is quite simple with just the Split Tree Helper.

First use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project to create two copies for your and your husband's Project.

Open your husband's Project and in the Focus Window select your father.
Run Split Tree Helper select Delete all Individual records found by Query below.
Select the standard Individual Query called Ancestors.
Under Other Records select Delete ... Records left with no links to them for each of the four record types.
Finally click Delete and ensure the Starting Person is your father and click OK.

Then in the Focus Window select your mother and repeat the above Split Tree Helper process, but with the Starting Person as your mother.
Lastly, run the Check for Unlinked Media Plugin and Delete Unlinked Media.

Now open your Project and repeat the whole process above, but with your husband's father and mother selected as the Starting Person for the two cycles.

When satisfied, create a Backup of your original composite Project for posterity, and delete that Project.
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Thanks Mike,
If I leave things as they are, but want to let a member of the family view his side of the family without having all of my side of the tree. what would be the best option? would this be a better choice than splitting the whole tree? and if so, how would I go about doing this? Sorry about all the questions but I really want to expore all of my options before I continue.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It depends on what that member of the family wants to view, and how they want to view it.
They might just want a Diagram and a few Reports in PDF format.
There is no point in giving them an FH GEDCOM if they don't have FH installed.
They might want a GEDCOM converted to be compatible with another genealogy product.
Or they might want a tree uploaded online to Ancestry or FindMyPast, etc.
Until you actually get such a request you cannot predict exactly what conversion may be required, or even what branch of your tree they might be interested in.
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Oh I see. Thanks :) Rather than have my tree split, would it be possible to have FH GEDCOM for his side of the family on my laptop so I can show them if necessary? I do appreciate this Mike.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, with FH running on the laptop, rename the Project and run Split Tree Helper as explained earlier to delete your mother and father ancestors.

You have the choice of whether to keep that Project on a pen drive as discussed in Running FH on two computers (17127) or copy it onto the laptop hard-drive in the default Document\Family Historian Projects folder.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Jane

If you just want to show (rather than pass on to someone) then if you just use the diagram window to view it select your husband and then view All Relatives Diagram it will show you but none of your family and vice versa. The same goes if you use the focus window and make your husband the focus person then use the ancestors tab to show his direct family (mother, father, granddad, grandmother etc), but I would presume that if you were showing someone the family tree you would want to show all relatives so that the person you are showing could see where they fit in if they are not direct family.
It's the way I would go if it is just to show people and if someone shows an interest, you can use the method that Mike has suggested to make a copy for them and pass it on. Then as Mike says you don't have the problems of updating two trees and possibly making mistakes. Never say never with no family links either, I have a link 5 generations back between my mum and dads family and they both came from different towns near Glasgow, but there families both came from the same area in the Scottish Borders 200 years ago.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Many thanks William, I've had a play around with the "All Relatives Diagram" which I quite like.

Mike, I've run the "Split Tree Helper" and this is now showing just his family, however, when I go to the "All Individuals Tab, all records are still there, it's just not showing in the Focus Window .Is this correct?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You did run Split Tree Helper twice? Once for your father, and once for your mother.
I'm not sure which records you are talking about, but all your ancestor's Individual records should have been deleted.
The Focus Window and the Records Window can only show the same set of records from the underlying GEDCOM file.
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Yes, I ran it for my Father's side first, then my Mother's. The individual records widow is showing all individuals including my side of the family (Notes, Sources etc.) At the top it reads Family Tree Project File (records) although my side of the family in the Focus Window is not shown. It's just reads add my father/mother. :?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Are all your relatives still showing in the Records window? Are your father and mother there? Your grandparents? I suspect not.

The Ancestors query Mike suggested you use will include all your direct ancestors (so they will be removed) but not their 'other descendants', who will remain in the file but as disconnected groups.

I think you probably need to use Mike's "All Pool Relatives Except Partner Ancestors" plugin which you referred to in your original post.
Lorna
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

I've checked Lorna, and your correct, my mother and father are not listed, or my grandparents. If I use the "Pool All Relatives Except Partner Ancestors" Plugin will I need to start all over again?

When I run this plugin do I leave all the boxes ticked? I'm reaching for another wine bottle again!
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Yes, I think you'll need to start over again, and run the plugin on one copy of your project to produce a file containing just your relatives, and then run it again on another copy of the project to produce a file with just your husband's relatives.

Yes, I think you need to leave the boxes ticked. However I haven't use the plugin myself and as Mike is the author I suggest waiting until he replies again in case he has any additional tips.

I think the complexities of the scenario had slipped Mike's mind when he suggested using the Split Tree Helper.

(Go easy on the wine. Use it to celebrate when you've finished!)
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, sorry, a senior moment. I wrongly thought removing all Ancestors would also remove their descendant branches.

I will post the Plugin details when I get time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Don't change your already split Project of your husband's relatives.
Download and install the attached All Relatives Everyone custom Query.

Select your Husband in the Focus Window.
Run the Split Tree Helper as before but this time select Delete all Individual records NOT found by Query below.
Choose the Individual Query as the just installed All Relatives Everyone.
Under Other Records select Delete ... Records left with no links to them for each of the four record types.
Finally click Delete and ensure the Starting Person is your Husband and click OK.

Lastly, run the Check for Unlinked Media Plugin and Delete Unlinked Media.

When satisfied, create a Backup of your original composite Project for posterity, and delete that Project.
Attachments
All Relatives Everyone.fhq
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Any children you have will be directly related toyour husbands ancestors. Do you want to deny them from knowing who they are?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Victor, have you read the discussion, which explains the scenario and does not deny the children anything.
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Thank you all so much for helping me with the above. It's all worked well.
:D
There are quite a few empty media folder's for him, would it be ok to just delete these?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What exactly do you mean by empty media folders?
Do you mean sub-folders within the Project's Media folder?
If so then yes, they can be deleted just like any other Windows File Explorer folder.