* How do I open a .pdf in FH 5.0?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
redx593
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

How do I open a .pdf in FH 5.0?

Post by redx593 »

Hello,
I am still use version 5.0 of Family Historian. Over time I have added several .pdf files of certain records to my family tree and I usually add them as "multimedia" using the "add multimedia" button. Trouble is I've now discovered that when I open the multimedia window, and try to open the .pdf file it contains, it only opens an "Edit Media" window with a .pdf symbol in the centre. I can't actually open the .pdf file itself.

Can some explain what I'm doing wrong please?

redx593
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: How do I open a .pdf in FH 5.0?

Post by Valkrider »

Family Historian cannot display pdf files. You need to use an external viewer to view them. One way around this is to use a converter (several free and online) to change the pdf to a jpg and attach that to the source too. That way you have the pdf for printing and the jpg to view within Family Historian.
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

Valkrider wrote: 10 Sep 2019 10:44 Family Historian cannot display pdf files.....
Oh ok. There lies the problem. I'll have to go back and redo them in different format.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you want to launch your PDF viewer I think V5 has the green arrow icon in the media window similar to that in V6
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

Thanks Jane,

I do apologise for the rather long four year delay in replying.

Cheers,
redx593