* Images of Residences

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Baboon281
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Images of Residences

Post by Baboon281 »

Back on 15 Dec 2016 at 19:12 hours I asked the question

"Is it possible to add an image to a repository. EG I have repository for a Church and wish to add an image of the church"?
I received a number of replies that are of some assistance. I have been steadily working on my tree and now would like to add images of residences in to my FH programme. How do people include their images so as to get the best outcome when printing reports/ reviewing their work.

Having a quick play before I start uploading pictures in earnest I can see an option of adding a media item within a town under the PLACE TAB of the records window. Is this the best / simplest way of adding an image or is there a better way. I have attached a word document hopefully showing what I am trying to explain.

Thanks
Attachments
FHUG Question about Residence Images.docx
(186.03 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Images of Residences

Post by BobWard »

I keep my workflow pretty simple. When I want to add a photo of a particular location, residence, school, church, cemetery, etc., I just add a Source record for the Fact that references such a location, and then attach a media file to that Source record.

As an example, I have a attached a segment of the Property Box for my profile. This includes a Fact for my residence in 1946. The attached image shows that I also created a Source record for this specific residence Fact. I then attached a media file to this Source record that shows a picture of the house at this address. I have also added a "snip" of how this image looks when output to the ISR report format. This is the picture of the house in the media file that I attached to the Source record.

You can also add images to PLACE records, as you allude to.

Depending on the report format that you use, you will most likely get different results on how satisfactorily your media file images display in the report output. I use the ISR format exclusively.
Property Box.JPG
Property Box.JPG (236.67 KiB) Viewed 8128 times
House Photo.JPG
House Photo.JPG (242.51 KiB) Viewed 8128 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You cannot add Media images to a Repository.

You can add Media images to Source records as suggested by Bob.
They appear in Reports in the Sources section along with images of Documents.

You can also add Media images to Place records.
They appear in Reports alongside the Facts (only one copy per Report).
BUT Place names are often not detailed enough to identify one building.
So if there are Media images for several buildings in the same Place then all of them will be attached to one Place record and that gets complicated in Reports (I can explain in more detail if necessary).
Your Word doc example is a good illustration. What if there were other images for Ashton-in-Makerfield?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

If I want to add an image of a residence (or church or...), I simply add it as a media item to the Fact in question. Then it appears in my printed reports, which are (normally) narrative reports. You need to look at any printed report to see how the images get printed - I think that narrative reports could be said to have their limitations because the designed intention is that each image appears once and once only in a section(?) of a report. No doubt others will correct me...

Adding an image / media item to a place record didn't work for me because my places are all towns and villages or larger, not individual addresses such as a house, church or cemetery.

I have difficulty in remembering the precise issues with other methods - I don't seem to have written down the pros and cons of the discarded options, though I have a feeling that somewhere in this user Group, there is at least one thread on the topic.
Adrian
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

As others have said, much depends on the type of report you favour.

If several family members lived at the same address, either simultaneously or at different times, you might want to have a photo of the house linked in some way to each of them. This is fine for Individual reports, and if the photos are linked directly to the residence facts they will appear in the body of the report. (On the Picture tab of the Report Options you will nedd to include 'Other' picture types). But if you also want to use a report which contains multiple people, in other words anything other than an Individual Narrative or Individual Summary report, you won't want the picture(s) to be repeated within the same report.

I use a method similar to Bob's, creating a Source record for the house/school/church. But if I have several photos of the same building I attach them to the same Source, and I use the Note field of the Source record to record any interesting information, such as the date of construction or how long it was owned by the same family. I cite the same Source record against the residence facts for anyone who lived there. The Source record will appear just once at the end of the report, avoiding repetition.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, adding Media to Facts via the Show Media button is another option.

Which is the better option depends primarily on how you want the images to appear in Reports.

Media images attached to Facts (or Places) appear once (per person) in the Report near the first Fact that has the image.
Any other Factsfor that person with the same image have no indication that they have that image attached.
(This applies per person, whether By Generation or multiple Records in say an ISR.)
The Report > Options > Pictures tab governs Other: Max Pics to display, and whether Facts &/or Places attached 'Other' Picture Types are included.

Media images attached to Source records appear in Reports, but later in the Sources section per record or per report.
Every Fact that cites that Source has a superscript cross-reference to the Sources entry.
The Report > Options > Sources tab governs how many pictures to display.
However, the Source Pictures settings equally govern Document images attached to Source records.

A variant of that method is to attach Media images to each Citation via the Show Media button instead.
Then the Report > Options > Sources tab settings for Source Citation Pictures governs them independently from Media attached to the Source records.
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think I will keep it simple and create a source record then and that to a residence fact
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The thing to check is how you want your Reports to present Media images of all kinds ~ Source Documents, Buildings, People, etc.
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

After a number of months away i have returned to this topic in an attempt to sort my research out and be able to compile reports as I want them to look. I have also reviewed Linking multimedia to Residence fact (14476) topic posted by Frankie1966 as that user seemed to be having similar issues.
My "work around" is within the FOCUS window to put the full address (i.e 34 Upper Street, Nowhere, Northamptonshire, England) under the PLACE location and leave the ADDRESS blank. Then under the RECORDS widow under the PLACE Tab locate the place I have created (34 Upper Street, Nowhere, Northamptonshire, England) and then within the MEDIA Tab of that place insert the photograph that I wish to be linked to that place (be it a house, church or other building / location). This appears to place the image in the main text of an Individual Summary Report, exactly where I would like it to be. Before I work through my file changing the PLACE and ADDRESS under the FACTS tab in the FOCUS window can anyone see any problems that this might create.
I hope that my description is clear and detailed enough for people to follow what I am asking. Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is one option that has been discussed and will probably work quite well.
Just check a few Report scenarios before committing to it wholesale.

Please use Tools > Work with Data > Places... and review how you plan to organise the comma-separated columns to accommodate the extra address details.

The Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin may prove useful in moving all Address data to Place fields.

BTW: I think when you say FOCUS window you mean PROPERTY BOX on FACTS tab.
The FOCUS window is on the left showing a family group usually with personal photos.
The PROPERTY BOX is usually on the right with Main, Facts, Notes, Media & All tabs.
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Tatewise, thanks for the reply and the advice. I’ve tried a couple of reports and it seems to work.
I’ll have a look at Tools > Work with Data > Places and see if I can use the plug in as that may save a stack of time. I think my terminology is wrong.
pwe
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by pwe »

My preferred solution to this would be the ability to attach media to addresses as is possible with places. This is a wish list item which I have voted for. Perhaps this will be present in V7 when it is released.
As an aside, with many of us confined to our homes, the release of FH v7 would give us something to occupy ourselves with. Perhaps Simon would let us know if the release of v7 has been delayed by the present difficulties and if possible update us on a likely release date.
Peter
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Regarding terminolgy, notice that there are many workspace windows. See glossary:more_workspace_windows|> More Workspace Windows.
e.g.
Focus Window, Records Window, Diagram Window, and so on...

For all of those, it is possible to open a Property Box alongside to manage record details.
The Tools > Preferences > Workspaces settings determine where & when the Property Box opens.
Most workspaces have a method to open a chosen Property Box by say double-clicking, etc.