* FHUG on the move

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FHUG on the move

Post by LornaCraig »

Reverting to the subject of the invisible buttons (Edit, Delete, etc) these are now visible on my laptop running Windows 10 but still not visible on my desktop running Windows 7. Both using Firefox 68.0.2.

A week ago they were not visible on the laptop either, so something has changed but there seems to be an issue with Windows 7. I will email this info to Jane.
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Just as an update... the buttons are still not visible in the marina orange skin on my PC running Windows 10 and Chrome. They are visible using any of the other skins.

Bill
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Yes, you have reported this previously. I have passed it to the designer I purchased the theme from and am waiting for a response.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Yes. That original report was 11 days ago. Lorna had given an update so I thought it would be alright to give an update as well. Apparently that was not appropriate. My apologies.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jsphillips »

Where is the edit buttons and where is the Control setting to get rid of the orange skin.
Can someone send me a screen copy so I can view where these options are please.
Thanks
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

The buttons should appear here (invisible in this screenshot).
Button location.JPG
Button location.JPG (18.73 KiB) Viewed 12897 times

To change the colour scheme, click on your name at top right of the screen and select User Control Panel, then Board Preferences tab.
Attachments
User Control Panel.JPG
User Control Panel.JPG (65.84 KiB) Viewed 12897 times
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To change skins, click your username jsphillips top right, and choose User Control Panel and Board preferences tab, where My board style can be selected.
BUT if you pick anything except Marina Orange you will lose the Home and Knowledge Base links at the top as mentioned by BillH yesterday with a screenshot.

Presumably you are using the Chrome browser or perhaps running with Windows 7?
All other configurations show the Edit, Delete, Report, Warn, Info, Quote icons correctly.
They are still there on same line as subject and just to left of your selfie where they always used to be but are all white.
Just hover your cursor in that area and they are revealed with an orange background.
Buttons.png
Buttons.png (38.74 KiB) Viewed 12898 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Jane has paid somebody to work on the button visibility problem... Now might be a good time to Donate especially as the new hosting costs more than the old.
Russell
Diamond

Post by Russell »

Thanks for pointing that out, Helen - perhaps Jane should have it on at least an annual reminder :)

And as well as the straight cash donation facility, I will try and remember the Amazon link. Like many of us no doubt I do go to their website more often than I should - and as there is no extra cost to the buyer, what's not to like?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Due to the problems with the Marina theme on some Android devices, which strangely only occurs on my adjusted version so it's something odd, I have added a new theme which I am considering changing over to as the default.

If you want to try it you can change over in your Profile to Metrolite
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That seems to work quite well.
For me, it resolves the problem of hidden Edit, Delete, Report, etc, icons in Chrome.
Users will have to get used to the new layout of links in the orange header bar.

One anomaly I noticed is that the style of [kb] links is different from all others (including [topic] links).
They always have an extra black underline.
e.g.
home|> Knowledge Base Home
Find my Past... or Ancestry ? (15275)

That style has also been applied to Profile and The Wish List and Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum links shown in the Board index.

BTW: Links in Signatures always had and still have an orange underline but perhaps should not?
e.g. my tatewise ancestry link.

( Those style differences are presumably derived from the defaults in the original skins. )

Another problem is the * is missing from left-hand edge of topic subjects that allows [topic] links to be created.

One annoyance that others have mentioned is that the icons next to POST REPLY above a thread and below a thread are different ~ can they be made the same please?
i.e. Above is only spanner and search; Below is spanner, options, tools, but no search

Finally, the Logged Out skin always seems to be Marina Orange rather than the user chosen skin.
Is there anything that can be done about that? I suspect not.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

tatewise wrote: 02 Sep 2019 10:30 One anomaly I noticed is that the style of [kb] links is different from all others (including [topic] links).
They always have an extra black underline.
Done
Another problem is the * is missing from left-hand edge of topic subjects that allows [topic] links to be created.
Done
One annoyance that others have mentioned is that the icons next to POST REPLY above a thread and below a thread are different ~ can they be made the same please?
No, these are standard components from the master theme

Finally, the Logged Out skin always seems to be Marina Orange rather than the user chosen skin.
Is there anything that can be done about that? I suspect not.
The theme when logged out is what ever the default theme is. Just how would you expect it to know what theme you want when you are not logged in?
Jane
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, that is mostly all good.
BUT in Marina Orange (and for some in Metrolike) those links were bold.
Now none are bold, and that includes Who is online and most of the username links there.

Regarding Logged Out skin style, I thought maybe a cookie could identify the chosen skin style, but it is not important.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

For those of us who prefer a skin without so much orange, please also keep the prosilver skin.

Thanks,
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is still present and correct, but without Jane's adjustments in Metrolike.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I see that it is still there. I'm just hoping it doesn't go away as some of the other skins have. I can live without the adjustments. The compactness and color scheme work better for me.

Thanks,
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I would say Metrolike is about as compact as prosilver, and certainly more compact than Marina Orange.
There is a bit less orange too.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I would agree that metrolike is preferable to marina orange for me, but I like prosilver even better.

In metrolike I can only see 7 1/2 of the forums on the forum home page while I can see all 9 forums with prosilver. Going into one of the forums, I can see 11 1/2 posts in metrolike while I can see 15 in prosilver. When I open any given posting, I can see more lines in prosilver than in metrolike. All of this means less scrolling in prosilver.

As far as the color, I know that is personal preference, but I've never been a fan of the orange and still find metrolike to have too much orange for my taste.

Thanks,
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Strange, I can just see 9 Forums and 14 Posts respectively in both skins (but yes, much less in Marina Orange).
Can see them easily if Taskbar auto-hides.
I wonder why we differ?
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

That is strange. Here are screenshots of what I see in both skins.

Bill
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (162.73 KiB) Viewed 12721 times
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (201.36 KiB) Viewed 12721 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I was using Firefox. Are you using Chrome?
I agree that Chrome does favour prosilver with smaller text and therefore displays more lines.
Both skins show more lines in Chrome than in my Firefox setup, but that is because I've adjusted the minimum font sizes (for my poor eyesight). If I remove that customisation then yes, prosilver does show more.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Yes, I am using Chrome. At this point at least I am still able to see the print in prosilver. :D

Bill
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jsphillips »

Hi Jane
At the risk of upsetting anyone I would like to get away from this ghastly orange skin
Is it possible to go back to the green one or at least a dark grey one ? I understnd that there were 2 orange skins I have tried and neither is successful ?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I don't notice the Orange any more -- and the Metrolike skin reduces how much there is. No colour is going to satisfy everyone, especially as we have been talked around this subject more times than I care to remember, and allowing a choice just makes more work for Jane.

We should keep the status quo.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If anyone is really unhappy with Orange, there are browser plugins that will help... this is done with something called Midnight Lizard for Chrome:
Screenshot 2019-09-03 09.23.39.jpg
Screenshot 2019-09-03 09.23.39.jpg (121.76 KiB) Viewed 12561 times