* Prefixes and Nicknames

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
simonx
Gold
Family Historian: None

Prefixes and Nicknames

Post by simonx »

I am a lapsed FH user - back again and impressed by the new stuff, especially Narrative reports. But I can't find the following in manuals, index or Help:

A) If a person has a prefix of Dr., Rev. or Sir, how do I get it to display in narrative reports? I see mention of Name Formats but not where to change them.

B) If I put Fudge as the Nickname, it doesn't appear. I can put Fudge as the Name Used (and that works OK), but then what is the point of the Nickname field? I thought it was for 'silly' names as opposed to people who used their second name. And how would you classify John Robert Smith who is called Bobby?

Sorry if these are trivial ...

ID:2189
ChrisBowyer
Superstar

Prefixes and Nicknames

Post by ChrisBowyer »

simonx said:
Sorry if these are trivial ...
I'm with you on this... we use narrative reports as the main way of trading information with other contacts, and with the new sentence stuff you can make them pretty good in general. Name used works well, but as you say, nicknames and (perhaps more importantly) alternative names don't appear. I've raised a lot of wish-list requests on narrative report wording... it might carry more weight coming from someone else.
simonx
Gold

Prefixes and Nicknames

Post by simonx »

OK, I am happy to use Name Used for a second name, an abbreviation or a nickname (and just ignore the supplied Nickname field).

What about prefixes? Please can someone tell me how I get the prix Rev. or Sir to appear.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Prefixes and Nicknames

Post by Jane »

Unfortunately you can not at the moment, what I did was to add a title attribute so that the information is included.

I think the enhancement is already on the wish list.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
donhal

Re: Prefixes and Nicknames

Post by donhal »

been waiting since 2007 for a field to add a name prefix eg: Lt. or MD etc. Will this ever be added?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

It's there, and has been for a long time. Click more.. next to the Name field in the Property Box to get the Titles & Names dialog. Then click the Help button for more information.
Titles & Names.JPG
Titles & Names.JPG (38.04 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum that is much more appropriate.

Yes, the Prefix and Suffix fields as identified by Lorna are designed for such as Dr. and Jnr. respectively, and appear in the Narrative reports.

You can also insert them before or after the entire name such as Dr. John /Smith/ Jnr. where the suffix is fine, but the prefix will be treated as the first forename.

For Nickname, add something like the following into the Birth fact Sentence Template:
{individual}< who was nicknamed {%CUR_PRIN.NAME[1].NICK%}> was born...
or
{individual}< (aka {%CUR_PRIN.NAME[1].NICK%})> was born...

Alternate Names do appear in Narrative Reports displayed as (known as ... ) providing that the Report > Options > Main tab Inc. Alternate Names is ticked.

Similarly the Given Name Used appears providing that the Report > Options > Main tab Name Used is ticked.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry