* Unlink from one parent

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Unlink from one parent

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
Probably a very basic question but could not see an easier method.
I have just found out that 2 of the children of my great aunt were born several years after her husband died. I therefore needed to unlink them from her husband. I clicked "unlink from" but it only gave me the option to unlink from both parents. I therefore ended up doing that and then bringing up the mother and re linking them via existing record. It has obviously worked but seems rather clumsy was there a more straight forward method?
Ann :oops:
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Unlink from one parent

Post by tatewise »

Ann, I presume you re-linked the children to your great Aunt on a new Spouse tab without a Spouse/Partner.
That is the easiest way to do it, because children are always linked to a Family record.
So you unlinked them from the original Family record of your great Aunt & Uncle, and linked them to the new Family record associated with your great Aunt's second Spouse tab, i.e. a single parent family.
It is essentially the same as if your great Aunt had actually re-married.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi Mike
Thank you for the reply. Now you put it like that it is logical to make the extra steps. (Just me being in a rush!) At the time I just thought that why didn't I have the option just to unlink from father but of course the child needs to be linked to another family even if there isn't a father.
Thanks Mike
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

It doesnt make sense to me at all
Because illegitimate children of an known mother and unknown father do not necessarily have the same father.

Does one add two different fathers or not?
One's tree gets cluttered up with people called unknown unknown. I think in other software one can just leave a blank?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Evelyn, you don't have to add "people called unknown unknown", but as I said, you do need a new Spouse tab, albeit without a Husband/Spouse/Partner, i.e. as you say "just leave a blank" as <no spouse>.
If you believe that two children had different fathers then you would create two similar Spouse tabs with <no spouse>.
IllegitimateChildFatherNotKnown.png
IllegitimateChildFatherNotKnown.png (21.15 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

E Wilcock wrote:It doesnt make sense to me at all
Because illegitimate children of an known mother and unknown father do not necessarily have the same father.

Does one add two different fathers or not?
One's tree gets cluttered up with people called unknown unknown. I think in other software one can just leave a blank?
IMHO this is the safest way to do it. You are recording what you know / what you have discovered. At that moment you don't know who the child's father was and you may never be able to establish who he was. You do not have to use Unknown you can use what you like for example you could use /[father of Fred Smith]/. I use square brackets around a surname when I don't know their actual name it helps with sorting.