* AS Error message

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Pentris
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

AS Error message

Post by Pentris »

The first time I have used AS since moving across to a new Windows 10 PC I received an error message when AS tries to open its log file. The date shows that this file was last used with Windows 8.1 PC. Not sure what to do to resolve the issue. Screen capture attached.
Attachments
AS log error.PNG
AS log error.PNG (88.59 KiB) Viewed 7015 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: AS Error message

Post by Jane »

Does your PC have an H drive and does that folder exist?
If so you may need to check the permissions on the folder in Windows Explorer
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In migrating from PC to PC did you follow the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide including the ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_migration_guide|> Ancestral Sources Migration Guide?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Pentris
Diamond

Post by Pentris »

Jane
Yes H drive is the one containing all the FH Project and AS data. It was the G drive on the old PC but was migrated across. The referencing in the AS Tools options was changed to the new location and the settings happily backup and restore ok. I can open the file in AS View Log Files so it would not appear to be locked.
Mike
Yes I have followed the migration knowledgebase guidance.

Should I move the AS Log files to a safe place to allow AS to generate a new one?
Attachments
View log files.PNG
View log files.PNG (161.01 KiB) Viewed 6934 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I wonder if it is a file permissions problem.
Probably all the files have read permission so allow View Logs and Restore Options.
Backup Options creates a new file possibly deleting an existing one.
Whereas Logs are appended to by AS and need write permission.

So, yes, try moving/renaming the existing Logs and see if AS then creates new Logs.

If that still fails, then I suspect the folder/file permissions are at fault.
This type of issue can arise when copying files from PC to PC.
Do you understand the folder/file right-click Properties > Security tab permissions adjustment methods?
Pentris
Diamond

Post by Pentris »

I renamed the existing Log files and AS created a new one ok. However for an entry update, as distinct to a new entry. AS needs to change/delete Backup files which again it could not do as access was denied.

I believe that it is a folder/file permissions problem but I do not know what they should be in order to change them. I know Windows 10 treats user/administrators different to previous versions. Perhaps the Ancestral Sources folder has been created as requiring Admin rights to operate. Attached is the 'Ancestral Sources Folder 1' permissions. Next is the first 'users' followed by the 'users special' entry permissions. This 'users special' entry does not exist on the Family Historian folder and that works fine.
Perhaps Nick Walker can throw some light onto this issue.
Attachments
Main Ancestral Sources Folder permissions
Main Ancestral Sources Folder permissions
Ancestral Sources folder 1.PNG (48.21 KiB) Viewed 6890 times
Standard Users entry permissions
Standard Users entry permissions
Ancestral Sources folder Users.PNG (31.52 KiB) Viewed 6890 times
Users Special entry permissions
Users Special entry permissions
Ancestral Sources folder Users Special.PNG (31.95 KiB) Viewed 6890 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am pretty sure that in your Advanced Security Settings screenshot the Owner is the problem.
That Account Unknown is probably derived from the other PC.

So try using the Change option and set it to the Administrators account.

That should add a Remove button to let you remove the Account Unknown entry in the table.

Also tick the Replace all child object permission entries... so the changed ownership, etc, ripples down.

I assume your username is Users.
Back in the Security tab itself you should be able to select Users and Edit to Allow the Full Control needed.
Pentris
Diamond

Post by Pentris »

Mike
I analysed the differences between my three new partition drive setups to try and see a pattern. Although they should have been all created 'equal' Windows 10 decided to set them all up differently despite them being only purely data partitions. I researched the background of the very complicated, to me, use of 'permissions' and also the very good tutorial on TenForum site. My first attempt to solve the problem stopped FH from being able to save anything. Luckily I backup all drives separately each day so a quick restore put me back working again. Working on Permissions can be just as tricky as the Registry.
The Account Unknown entries are a well documented and frequent occurrence in Windows 10 and can come about after a refresh, updates, paste from another drive, recovery from file history or backup restores. They do not seem to normally cause any problems although they look strange.
My solution was to remove the Ancestral Sources folders complete with Logs, Backups and Settings, then reinstall from a clean source. The non administrator user account entry was then edited on the drive to Full Control and it rippled the changes down through all folders and files automatically.
All of AS is now back working correctly. Thanks for your expert guidance.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm glad that is sorted out, as Permissions can be awkward to resolve.