* PDF File output is not enabled

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
cachette
Silver
Family Historian: V7

PDF File output is not enabled

Post by cachette »

I have installed my old version 4 of FH on my new Win 10 computer. FH is working but I am unable to save charts to PDF. When I select DIAGRAM - SAVE DIAGRAM AS - PDF FILE then a FH window opens with 'PDF File output is not enabled'.
I have looked at the Knowledge base and worked through the two options (1. Delete and reinstall NovaPDF and 2. ensure spooler is running) but neither resolves the problem.
I would appreciate any further help please.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: PDF File output is not enabled

Post by tatewise »

You have gone through all the correct processes, but I suspect the problem is that the Family Historian PDF (novaPDF v7.7 printer) is not compatible with FH V4 because Calico Pie changed the novaPDF version in FH V5.

What I suggest is that you uninstall both Family Historian and the novaPDF v7.7 printer.
Then follow the advice given in the how_to:family_historian_installation_problems|> Family Historian Installation Problems Introduction to use Run as administrator, disable your anti-virus software, or use Windows Safe Mode.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
cachette
Silver

Post by cachette »

Thanks Mike.
As you suggested I have uninstalled FH and NovaPDF in Safe Mode and reinstalled. I can now see NovaPDF6 in my Win10 apps.
But still no joy in printing to PDF. I still get 'PDF File output not enabled'.
In FH when I go to 'File' - 'Print Setup', I can see a list of printers but NovaPDF is not on the list.
NovaPDF also does not appear in Windows - Settings- Printers & Scanners.
Steve
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You should not have needed Safe Mode to uninstall anything.
I hope you used Safe Mode and Run as administrator to just install FH V4.

That should have installed Family Historian PDF File ( printer) as listed in Start > Settings > Apps.

It should NOT appear in the main Start menu list of applications.

It should appear in FH Print commands and Start > Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners as Family Historian PDF but NOT as NovaPDF6.

I have checked the https://www.novapdf.com/ website where it says that novaPDF 6.1 is no longer supported and is only compatible with Windows Vista, XP SP3, Server 2008/2003.
So although it presumably worked on your old PC, it may NOT be compatible with Windows 10.
I suggest you contact Calico Pie using how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting to get clarification.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Just to add to Mike's notes that I am pretty sure you need V6 of Nova when using V4 of Family Historian, I'll update the Knowledge base to state the 7.7 Nova only works for V6 of FH which is shown on the FAQ on the Family Historian site.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
cachette
Silver

Post by cachette »

Thank you Jane & Mike.
I have now resolved the issue.
The installed version from the CD was v4.0.2
I have upgraded with the free upgrade to v4.1.3 and chart saving to PDF is now working.
(https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?i ... .3_upgrade).
Additionally, CalicoPie FH Support also responded as follows.
Windows 10 has its own built-in PDF writer. To use it, click on 'Print' on the File menu and choose "Microsoft Print to PDF" as the 'printer'. This allows you to save a file in PDF format, even with version 4 on Windows 10.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, there is a Microsoft Printer PDF option in Windows 10 but I am not sure it supports all the FH features, e.g. Diagram Single Page PDF.

I have revised how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#save_as_pdf_file_output_is_not_enabled|> Save As PDF File Output is Not Enabled further as it applies to both FH V5 & V6 whereas only earlier FH V4 used the earlier novaPDF 6.1 but only Option 1 is affected, and Option 2 applies generally.