* Technical Question on Generations 5.2

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
SilverSchnauzer
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Technical Question on Generations 5.2

Post by SilverSchnauzer »

I am new to Family Historian but not new to Genealogy. When I first installed Family Historian 6.2 I thought I would re-enter all of the information I had in my old Genealogy Software which was Generations 5.2 on an old Windows XP computer. After reading the forums on The Family Historian User Group Webpage I noticed there may be a possibility of importing a GEDCOM File into Family Historian. I switched computers in 2007 to Windows 7 and Generations 5.2 was not compatible. So what I did is create a Family History Report in Generations and a GEDCOM file in May of 2007. I have both of these files on an external hard drive and a printed version of the Family History Report. Since Generations was not compatible with Windows 7 I didn’t add additional information to the software but to the Family History Report in Microsoft Word. I do have lots of notes and documentation that I would like to bring to Family Historian to the new computer which is Windows 10. My question is should I add the information that I have added to the Family History Report in Microsoft Word to Generations 5.2 or import the GEDCOM file I created in May of 2007 to Family Historian 6.2 and use my printed version of my Family History Report to add any additional information that the GEDCOM file did not have? I guess I am asking for help on which would be the most sensible thing to do. I do still have the old Windows Computer with Windows XP and Generations 5.2 installed. Any help and advice from the Family Historian User Group would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Technical Question on Generations 5.2

Post by Jane »

As you have a Gedcom I would create a Project from that Gedcom as a Start point.

This covers the process: how_to:import_generations|> Import from Generations Family Tree

Personally I would review your Imported Gedcom to decide if you want to take the opportunity get all your sources in better shape and to rekey from your Word document or simply update the Project you have imported.

Family Historian will let you have as many projects as you need. So you can keep a copy as imported and then update or rekey as you need.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I agree with Jane. Use the GEDCOM to create a Project in FH and then working from the latest Family History Report manually bring the Project up-to-date.

You should also take the opportunity to review all your Source Citations to ensure all the Facts have suitable proofs.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
SilverSchnauzer
Gold

I have read through the directions but I am confused on FIXING THE SOURCE NOTES
Step #1 Download and install Pre-Load the Generations Source Clean
When I download something from a link or from the Internet it goes in my Downloads Folder, then I right click and run the program or plug-in. IS THIS WHAT YOU MEAN? INSTALL IT NOW?
Step #2 Open FH with the Family Historian Sample Project (OPEN?) and run the Plug-in (Pre-Load the Generations Source Clean) selecting the file I exported above (My GEDCOM FILE I exported earlier from Generations?) (OR DO I INSTALL THE PLUGIN NOW?)
Step #3 A new file will be created in the same folder as your original file, prefixed with updated.
(THEN DO I GET A NEW GEDCOM FILE CALLED UPDATED)
I am confused as to when I should run the plug-in called Generations Pre-Load Source Clean and how to do it. Do I get a choice as to what file I want to run Generations Pre-Load Source Clean on?
It sounds like I should run the plug-in Generations Pre-Load Source clean on the GEDCOM File I Created in Generations and I will get a new GEDCOM file called updated. I have never been given the choice as to where to run or install a program or plug-in.
I appreciate any help on this subject.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, you are missing some fundamental understanding about how to use Plugins.
Firstly, please confirm you have bought a licenced copy of FH V6.2.7 and are not just running the 30-day Free Trial that does not support Plugins at all.

When you joined FHUG you were advised to study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and that includes a Plugins section. Did you do that? If not, then do it now (and all the other sections).
i.e. Checkout the plugins:index|> Family Historian Plugins advice, especially Downloading and Using Plugins.

In Step #1 when you click on Generations Pre-Load Source Clean it should be automatically downloaded & installed by Family Historian without using the Download folder.
BUT if the file is only downloaded to your Download folder, then when you double-click to run it, Family Historian should install it and provide progress messages saying that.

In Step #2 you use Tools > Plugins to run the Plugin as explained in Downloading and Using Plugins above.
SilverSchnauzer
Gold

I own a licensed copy of Family Historian version 6.2.7
SilverSchnauzer
Gold

I have created a GEDCOM file in Generations and have it on a flash drive the icon is a box with 3 little green boxes inside of it. I didn't have the destination option to choose other just GEDCOM 5.5, I included everything. When I hover over the file it doesn't give me the date I created it but the date I last modified it. I will continue reading the articles you sugested. Thank you
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That icon indicates that FH is the default Windows program assigned to open GEDCOM files.
Just like other icons identify the default program that opens the associated file.
SilverSchnauzer
Gold

I have installed the plugin and ran it. I also sussessfully imported my GEDCOM file into Family HIstorian with all of my notes, dates, and all of the information is there. Now I need to update it using my Family History Report Word Document I created in Generations.
Thank you very much.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Excellent!
Don't overlook all the other advice in how_to:import_generations|> Import from Generations Family Tree following successful creation of your Project as there may be further corrections required.
SilverSchnauzer
Gold

I have starting going through my GEDCOM I imported into Family Historian from Generations and so far I haven't seen a loss of data. My next question is. Is there a way to change the location of My Family Historian Projects Folder from my C drive in My Documents Folder to another folder on an external drive? Each time I quit Family Historian I back up to an external drive. I would like to use the same external drive for My Family Historian Projects Folder. I know in the beginning when I was reading the help menu and the topics in this website I read something about this and now I can't find the article. I have added quite a bit of information to my imported GEDCOM file and don't want to lose that information. Thank you for all of your help so far.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

I would strongly recommend against the action you've described. If you store both your main (working) files, media etc. and your permanent backups on the same drive, whether internal or external, then you will lose everything when that drive fails, which it inevitably will.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I thoroughly endorse what Mervyn says.
It is somewhat pointless making backups if they are on same device as the original data.
The only thing they protect against is accidental deletion or corruption of the original data.

Please, please, study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers until you are familiar with its contents.
See Project Structure & Location ~ there is a clue in its title about relocation.
See Backup & Recovery ~ that explains where to put backups, etc, etc.
SilverSchnauzer
Gold

I have read through the information on the links in your reply and thank you very much. My concern is on saving space on my C Drive. I understand the difference in ProgramData and The Project Folder. Since my computer has 2 hard drives one is my C drive and it is my operating system drive which contains My Documents Folder and another free drive called D New Volumne with 1.81 TB of free space for storage only. Why couldn't I change the location of the GEDCOM file I importated from Generations to Drive D New Volume and open it from there and contunue adding information and editing information from that drive? The video I watched said I can change the location of the project I am working on but it is not the C drive (the operating drive of the computer) just storage for projects.
Thank you
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Family Historian will let you move your Project folder or any other gedcom data files to any drive you want. Just move them using Windows explorer.

The folder which normally lives on C and is more tricky to move is the Program Data folder which contains Queries etc, as Microsoft does not make it quite as easy to move as the documents folder, but if you really want to move it you can.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are missing the point.
We thoroughly endorse relocation of the Family Historian Projects folder to your D: drive.
BUT there is very limited benefit in saving the FH Project Backups onto the same D: drive too.

To backup the ProgramData use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin.

We advise you establish a regular Backup regime for all your sensitive data, not just FH Projects.
Those Backups should be saved on some separate media external to your PC.
All current versions of Windows have built-in Backup features such as File History and OneDrive.

The above advice is covered in far greater detail in glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery.

We strongly advise you heed the advice, because far too often we get users requesting help to recover their FH Project data and custom ProgramData settings when their PC has crashed unexpectedly, but without external backups there is often little that can be done.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

If you ever back up FH Projects on your PC do delete the old versions otherwise your hard drive will soon be full.
Backing up does not automatically replace the previous back ups

Victor