* Individual census facts not included in report

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Stokerw
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Individual census facts not included in report

Post by Stokerw »

Hi. I'm a new user after transferring from TMG. I've done the import successfully several times but have a problem with the census facts and making reports. (For the time being I'm only using the Individual Summary report)
I'm aware and have tried out the add-ons "Migrate Census families to Individual" and "Give witnesses their own facts" both of which do the job.

However using both an undoctored file and a file after running "Migrate Census ---" when I run a report on an individual who is a witness to a census, that particular census Fact does not appear in a report for the witness. The only census facts that appear in the report are those for whom the individual in the principal. Census facts for witnesses do of course appear in the the Fact tab, but why not in a report?

If I run the "Give witnesses their own facts" then that particular problem is solved, BUT under the Facts tab I loose the information that the fact is a shared one, and cannot view the other witnesses to the census.

This also affects the the reporting of witnesses when I create an export file for transfer to GedSite for my webpage, so I guess it's more fundamental that just tweaking the report settings.

So how can I get around this? I want to be able to have census information appearing as facts for witnesses, but also to retain the shared information about a census event.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Individual census facts not included in report

Post by Jane »

Currently the Individual summary report does not include Witnesses, the Individual Narrative report does.

For this reason currently many users prefer to have a fact for each person and use the Source to get the related records, but this assumes you are a method 1 recorder.

I don't use GedSite, but I think some others here do.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:recording_census_records|> Recording from a Census Record that gives the pros and cons of recording Census records in the two formats. It is a regular problem faced by TMG migrants.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

I also came from TMG to FH, and am a user of GedSite. From the start in TMG I did not use the Witness options for recording Census data so am working from a different angle than you!. Having said that, I also missed the options that TMG offered that enabled me to see (on the related website) details of all people on the census schedule (I don't really use the FH report options).

I have now changed the way I record Census data and use the Ancestral Sources "add-on" to input the data. With the appropriate settings in AS, I record each person on the Census as an Individual in FH and the Source record includes a transcript of the Census Schedule so I can see (on the website) all individuals recorded on the schedule (see https://genealogy.tapscott.co.uk/g1/p3.htm#i71 for an example from my website, and click Citation link #14 to see the way the details from the schedule are shown [ I should perhaps add that GedSite gives a number of options for showing this latter data, and this is the one I chose!].

Changing existing records (as brought over from TMG) has been (and continues to be) a long path - every so often I have a session of re-inputting via AS, Census records that have already been input (in TMG), but with care the options in GedSite can accommodate both styles of entry (which is just as well, as I suspect it could be many moons before I complete re-entry of all the records!).
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
Stokerw
Gold

Post by Stokerw »

Thank you for your various replies. Sorry for the delay in getting back since I've been away from home for few days.
I need do some further thought bout how I use FH!

Brent, I was most interested in your contribution and to see your website. My site is still using data from TMG and SecondSite; I've not yet finalized the form I will use with FH & Gediste.

I would be interested to know what format options and other parameters you use in GedSite to get your web output.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As an aside, see links:index|> Member Web Sites for examples of various styles using various tools.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

When I started the move over from TMG to FH, GedSite was not available so I expended quite a bit of effort trying to get data over to FH in a form that allowed me to generate a website using FH's built-in "Create a Website" Publish option (in conjunction with the related Plugin), that matched (partialy!) what I had generated using Second Site. I spent several months running test imports from TMG to FH - each time I would change a Tag / Fact detail or a Place or, in some instances, replace a Tag / Fact entirely, etc.

Once GedSite became available I quickly switched over to using that. I make use of a couple of Plugins - "Order Facts by Sort Date" (FH does not utilise a Sort Date value but this Plugin adds one to each FH Fact) and the "Export Gedcom File" (with the "(GST) Gedsite" Export Mode). I don't recall that I changed many of the default options, but for the sake of completeness, I have Full Data "On", Character Set Encoding set to "(UTF8) UTF-8 with a Byte Order Mark", Multimedia Conversion set to "(FILE~ABS) Multimedia via Absolute Link Records" and [[private]] Text Option set to "(EXCLUDE)....". In terms of the Extra Options tab, I have Named List set to "Remove...." and Updated 1 CHAN set to "Remove....". For the settings I use within GedSite it might be better if I emailed you my .gsfile as there is way too much information to include here - you could then open it in one session of GedSite and compare it with your configuration / the default file (you can have two GedSite sessions running alongside each other). I know that once GedSite was available, I spent quite a bit of time with it open alongside Second Site so that I could copy some settings from the latter.
Stokerw
Gold

Post by Stokerw »

Thanks Brent. Very helpful.

I think I need to follow the wisdom of using method 1 for census records, though it seems to me that it is largely what I did with TMG when I saved a source for each census record, and linked that with CD's to each individual.

I use the export options recommended for GedSite, which seems to concur largely with yours.
I've also spent some time configuring GedSite to try and match as closely as possible my original SecondSite layout. I make a lot of use of user pages to show interpreted information.

I would be interested in seeing your .gsfile. Can you attach a copy here or do you need an e-mail address?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Tips:
Since the .gsfile is plain text, it could be pasted directly into the reply box.
Otherwise, since .gsfile is not an allowed Attachments file type, send it to a compressed ZIP file and attach that.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Thanks Mike. As the file has 230+ lines I have gone down the zip route!.
Attachments

[The extension 7z has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As advised in info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics you should use right-click Send to > Compressed (ZIP) folder to create a Windows compatible ZIP file. Otherwise, users will have to have 7-Zip installed to unzip that attachment.
Stokerw
Gold

Post by Stokerw »

Thank You Brent. .gsfile safely downloaded and extracted.
I've already loaded it into my copy of GedSite and had a look a the structure to compare it with your site.
Interesting to see the way you have dealt with the presentation of data.

Now to try and leave behind the whole question which started this discussion and press on with the re-creation of my web site.

Cheers. Stoker.