* Female ancestors- is there a tool or plug-in to develop a tree?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Dagwood
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Female ancestors- is there a tool or plug-in to develop a tree?

Post by Dagwood »

Hi, It's a few years since I was last on the forum but seem to recall that some time ago i was able to print a tree for the female lineage of myself and that of my wife.
With upgrades and PC crashes I seem to have lost any reports I once developed and cannot recall if there was a tool to do this or whether i did it manually.
Can anyone advise please?
Jim aka Dagwood
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Female ancestors- is there a tool or plug-in to develop a tree?

Post by tatewise »

Welcome back Jim.

Firstly, I suggest you use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin whenever you have made any customisations to Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, etc, etc.
Ensure copies of both those Settings backups and your Project backups are saved other than on your PC.
See glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery for full details.

I imagine your female lineage is not so much a tree as a single column of boxes from you (or your wife) up to the oldest female direct ancestor.
In that case you know the people involved, so use Tools > How Related to choose you and your eldest female direct ancestor, then Display Graphically and Hide Spouses &/or Siblings as required.
Repeat for you wife and her eldest female direct ancestor.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

Many thanks Mike, it's good to get back and start using FH again. Your reply reminds me of how I did it previously and your suggestions re saving alterations and repoprts etc are most helpful.
My thanks again
Jim
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

tatewise wrote: I imagine your female lineage is not so much a tree as a single column of boxes from you (or your wife) up to the oldest female direct ancestor.
In that case you know the people involved, so use Tools > How Related to choose you and your eldest female direct ancestor, then Display Graphically and Hide Spouses &/or Siblings as required.
Repeat for you wife and her eldest female direct ancestor.
Is it possible to show your "mtDNA" lineage (or your Y-Chromosome lineage)?

So for mtDNA lineage, you would show
- your mother and all her descendants through purely female relations
- your Grandmother and ....
- Your GG etc.?

I can see how you can do it manually with hiding those who don't fit - but I have for a while been wondering how to do this (or better still on ordinary diagrams being able to show - by box properties? - either mtDNA or Y-chromosome relations to the diagram root).
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You can use a Query to hide the boxes so you don't need to do it manually. The attached query should handle 15 generations if you need more just duplicate the add exclude lines.

If you want markers on a full tree, the easiest way is probably to set a flag from the Query results.
Attachments
mt-DNA.fhq
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Take a look at glossary:charting_companion|> Charting Companion that offers a number of DNA charts.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The query for Y would be similar, but excluding Females from all additions
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

Some interesting options but I don't see one that does quite what I would like to do.

Context
The (UK) Ministry of Defence (JCCC) is responsible for identifying the remains of (e.g. WW1) soldiers found on the battlefields. Sometimes they can draw up a shortlist of who the soldier might be. They then seek (often "assisted" by genealogists giving them a push) to identify potential relatives who might provide a DNA sample for identification purposes.

When drawing up trees for this purpose you (e.g. for mtDNA) trace up the maternal line (from the suspected casualty) and then back down female cousin lines. You could only pursue female lines, but it is sometimes sensible to pursue male relatives in case you find something in their details that point towards an otherwise missed female (e.g. reference to a female cousin). (This also builds a tree in case you end up falling back on an autosomal test.) Sometimes you take on an existing family tree; either way it would be nice to have the relevant lines highlighted. You can then share a tree and make it open to challenge.

Jane's query can iteratively identify relevant individuals (and could be tuned to exclude adopted children) and then via flags or named lists you can customise the tree.

I suspect that it is inherent within FH that there is no means to iteratively work through a series of considerations - that would in effect be a macro language ?
David
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You can if you use a plugin
Jane
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, FH Plugins provide that macro language capability to iteratively work though considerations to whatever rules you wish and involve user decision making to achieve any desired objectives, providing that the necessary data is accessible to the Plugin either in the Project database or some other machine readable data source.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I am currently working on a set of code snippets to return Female, Male direct lines and back tracing which take account of the relationship flags on the Family As Child records.

When finished you will be able to get a result set to save as a Named list or set a flag to use in diagrams or for setting reports etc using in list or has flag functions.
Jane
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

Waiting for those code snippets sounds more profitable that learning lua and writing a tree-crawler - an interesting challenge but I have other things I want to do!

Thanks
David
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Jane