* All Relatives List

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Senelstune

All Relatives List

Post by Senelstune »

Folks,

What is the best way to create a list of blood relatives (so excl spouses) for inclusion in a Book using the Publish feature of FH, so that the entries get recorded in the Index.

Any help much appreciated.
mjashby
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: All Relatives List

Post by mjashby »

If you are referring to the automatically created Book Index, then I do not know of any option to exclude anyone who actually appears as a linked individual in a compiled Book report, so unless anyone knows better, your only only option would be to save the book as a Word Processor document and manually edit out those people you did not want to appear in the Book Index. However, this would be need to be repeated every time you reproduced the book content.

It's not as straightforward as simply excluding all 'spouses' as many (if not most) people will eventually discover that some of their blood relatives married other blood relatives. This particularly applies to those that remained for several generations in smaller communities. And are you going to include/exclude adoptions (in or out of a family), step-children and/or any other acquired non-blood relationships.

Mervyn
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The Query Relations, Excluding Relations by Marriage produces a list of all your "blood relations", but does also include any adopted persons.

You could use this to add individual narratives for each person, if you want to ensure they are all in the index. I am not quite clear from your explanation if you are wanting to exclude everyone else from the index, like Mervyn I can't think of away to exclude all the others from the index.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Thanks Mervyn and Jane,

Yes, I have been struggling to just make a list of blood relatives using a standard report in a Book and also generate a entry automatically in the Book Index.

I understand but had not thought about "pedigree collapse" and implex, possibly because I have not come across the marriage of cousins or others (yet). As I am dealing with 1600s stuff ib part I have no doubt at all that it is there inevitably - so that is a very good point.

So - let's include spouses in this list and then I assume this will collect his/her relations too. That's fine.

Then, how would you address the matter. I can see how just using a list of individuals, I can add a column that produces a very nice description of the relationship to the root which is exactly what I want. This works quite well even to the extent of labelling one relatve, as my "wife's great (x4) great-aunt's husband".

This will do me - if I could carve that list into a report or table without all the other non-related people in the database, that might do the job - if I can get the entries into the Index.

Thanks you very much - I'd be interested in your response as to how to do this. Here's hoping.

john
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Has the objective moved to the point that you are happy to include a report for every person related to the root person however indirectly by birth or marriage or adoption, etc?

If so then just include everybody in Relationship Pool 1 who are easily selected using a Query with a Rows filter such as Exclude unless =RelationPool() equals 1.

However, not all such people have a descriptive relationship to the root person like wife's great (x4) great-aunt's husband.

So if that is your objective then the Query filter should be like Exclude if =Relationship(FileRoot(),%INDI%,TEXT,1) is null.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Thank you Mike.

This is new territory for me but learning how to do this is all part of working with different software. So, firstly yes, I have moved the goal posts to provide room for an acceptable solution like you have suggested.

Secondly, I shall now go away and try this and return when I have a result.

Thanks for your help.

John
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

I have now had a look in more detail at your suggestions. Thank you all very much. I am considering these solutions - although struggling a bit with the queries and expressions.

As another option, I have created an All Relatives List using a standard List All Relatives Query. This will actually do me just fine. As you will know it contains 9 columns being Name, Id Number, Birth Yr, Relationship, Generation, Father's Name, Id Number, Mothers Name, Id Number. Excellent. This will suffice.

e.g. here's a couple of rows.

Code: Select all

"Patricia Mary WEST"	"23370" "1949" "2nd cousin once removed" "1" "Leslie L WEST" "23369" "Patricia W. HATTON"	"23368"
"Emma Crowder WHARTON" "746" "Apr, 1876" "2nd cousin twice removed's wife" "-2" "Henry WHARTON"	"23253" "Margaret CROWDER" "23254"  etcetera.
Great, that will do me. I accept the issues re adoption, second marriages, pedigree collapse and others. So, just a simple list easily created.

Now, the big question - how do I (1) get this simple but long list of relatives into my Book - and (2) with the entries appearing in the Index - but if the latter is not possible, so be it, I'll settle for just the list which is too long for a cut and paste job.

Thank you all for your patience. I'm still learning all the Query stuff. Any advice much appreciated.

john
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When you ask "how do I get this simple but long list of relatives into my Book" my guess is that you want a Report included in the Book for each one of them.
If my guess is correct, then when you choose the Report it will open the Select Records dialogue.
Use the Add using Query button at the bottom to run the All Relatives Query and populate the list on the right.
Click OK to produce a Report for them all, and as side effect will also populate the Book Index.

If I have guessed wrong, then please explain in more detail what you want.

Regarding Queries, please start a new topic on Understanding Queries, but only after studying the available FH Help pages, Getting the Most From Family Historian tutorials, and how_to:creating_a_query|> Creating a Query.
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Sorry Mike, not exactly.

I do not want a Report for each of the people. What I am trying to do is create a list of the relatives and their consanguinity. Just a list - with one row per person. If I could get that list (a) into my Book (b) with an entry in the Index - then that is exactly what I am trying to do.

I am going though the Helps and there are a couple of Videos and the examples of the Orphan and the Query video on Married Women. I am also of course studying, actually doing the tutorials not just reading them, and playing with the material in "Getting the Most from Family Historian V6" which is very helpful. I think I have already been through the Knowledge Base but I am still at it - whenever I can get out of the kitchen.

I will open a new topic as you suggest Mike so as not to stretch the friendship here if I have more questions that are directed specifically to Queries themselves. At the moment, I am trying to get the list I have already created into the Book and Indexed.

Thanks again.

john
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You cannot put a plain text list into a Book and list the people in the Index too.
FH has no idea that the plain text contains the names of people to be indexed.

It has to be a Report with an entry for each person, and then FH will automatically add them to the Index.
What you haven't realised is a Report can be customised down to produce just Name, Lifedates & Relationship.
Also the details of each person don't have to start on a new page.
It may not be possible to get all you want onto one line, but each person will only occupy a few lines such as shown below.
You could have Name (lifedates) [Rec Id] relationship on one line and remove the subsequent three lines,
or just have the Name on first line plus the other three lines neatly tabulated, or some combination of that.

Sorry, but we discussed this all before in Ancestor and Descendant List Creation (16262) last October, and you had another option to explore that you promised to report back on.
RelationshipReport.png
RelationshipReport.png (36.62 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Mike,

Thanks. I will give that idea a whirl.

As for discussing this before in Ancestor and Descendant List Creation (16262) last October, I have been wrestling with it all myself trying to solve it in vain - and eventually came to the Forum for help. The other option I had in mind was the All Relatives list. I now understand the conditions to get an entry in the Index.

Thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry again.
But last October I very clearly stated "You are correct, only data in Reports is included in the Book Index."

It does not matter how you choose people to include in the Reports or what type of Reports are used.