* Census entry crash

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Census entry crash

Post by E Wilcock »

Regard me as a new user of AS as I have only recently begun to do my own family history in FH.
One of the ideas of moving to fh was to add censuses with the images.
I just added a household of 10 people in 1841 and linked one image, but the census image ran to another page and while preparing to add that, the program froze. I do not as yet keep my source images in the fh folder.
My previous system has them in Pictures/Family History/Family Doexxx/ Source Images.
Error message is below. No data was saved to the fh file. Is this my fault?
Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Ancestral Sources.exe
Application Version: 5.2.0.0
Application Timestamp: 578bf16c
Fault Module Name: explorerframe.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18952
Fault Module Timestamp: 55c39ff9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000004131a
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Census entry crash

Post by tatewise »

It is quite rare for AS to crash like that.

I suggest you contact the author Nick Walker via AS Help > Email Support for advice.
Include the same as you pasted here, including the error message.

He may want to know whether the problem is repeatable, and if other Census captures went OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thanks Mike. Sorry. I thought this was where one asked.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, for most things it is, and Nick Walker would get around to seeing it eventually, but only he can fully decipher the details in the error message.

As I said, such AS crashes are rare, and nobody else has reported anything similar, so users are not likely to help.

However, just clutching at straws I did a Google Search for some key error message parameters :-
APPCRASH "explorerframe.dll" Exception Code: c0000005

The results all point to a file explorer problem opening the image file.
If you perform the same search, read the results, and review the diagnosis.
Presumably, you can open the file OK directly in Windows File Explorer?
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

O dear, I am going to forget this Mike because I cant open the email support.
I have used AS for lots of census entry problem free and have used it more today. So I will add any census images to fh manually.

To be honest (and I read the AS guidance) I still dont understand why AS (in census entry mode) deletes my National Archive file reference from the source field when I enter the census address in the place field. I always paste the file number in first as one sees that on line before one reaches the images of the census page which shows the address/place.

If you could explain please that would be helpful. Because it has annoyed me for years.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

My Source field, do you mean title or long title.

In which case, I workaround the behaviour by putting the National Archive file reference (e.g.) in the Other field, and including {OTHER} in the appropriate place in the Title Template. Or you could use Ref OD which is initialised with the UK census reference id as soon as year is selected, and then paste the full reference into RefID instead.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Which field on AS do you paste it in to?. I always paste it in to the "Ref ID:" field in AS and, when the record is saved to FH, this populates the "Publication Information" field - as controlled by one of the Option Settings in AS.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Maybe Help > Email Support does not work because you don't use an Email client but visit the Email website via a browser.
However, you can obtain Nick Walker's Email address from Help > Show Welcome Screen shown about halfway down.

As Helen says, I presume you mean the Title field.
Also, I assume when you start entering the Place details a warning message pops up that says about losing your manual edits.

As has been said, paste the National Archive file ref into the Ref ID: field and it will automatically appear in Title field too.
OR paste it into the Other Info: field and add the keyword {OTHER} into the Census Method 1 Title Template within the Tools > Options > Census settings - method 1 options.

BTW: That warning message associated with the Place field, that also appears for some other fields, may be an error.
It should only appear if the field being changed has an associated keyword in the Title Template but it appears for all the fields unconditionally. The concept also applies to all other data entry modes ~ Birth, Baptism, Marriage, etc.
i.e.
For Place only if the {PLACE} keyword is in the template
For Address only if the {ADDR} keyword is in the template

What are you current settings for the three census templates:
Census Image Title Template
Census Method 1 Title Template
Source Short Title (if any)
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike and others, thank you for the guidance on using the fields. I will change what I do.
I am a disgrace. I may not use AS correctly. I dont have any settings. I open AS only from the Tools/Plugins menu, otherwise I get muddled about which file or gedcom to select.
As a beginner with fh, I may have asked for help with it and was incapable of taking decisions. I click on the names I need, click on text auto to provide a source note of the whole household and that is all I do. It has worked, so I have never done more.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

AS is very customisable just like FH.

In the ancestralsources:index|> Ancestral Sources there is a ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_tutorial_entering_census_facts|> Ancestral Sources Tutorial ~ Enter Census Facts with a video tutorial. Have you seen that?

There are also tutorials on capturing other types of data and customising AS templates, etc.

Your use of the Ancestral Sources Data Entry Plugin is fine, but understand that it is simply a convenient shortcut to running the AS Program that does all the donkey work and has customisation settings via its Tools > Options, etc.