* Add source - sort order

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Add source - sort order

Post by E Wilcock »

I have solved this problem - but would just mention it as it has been a difficulty for me for 2 years now and I couldnt find it in the help.

Each time I needed to add a source, finding the correct source by typing in the first words of the title, I first had to reorder the sort order on the add source pane.
I have now discovered that one needs to sort ones sources in the Source records list and that sorting determines how the sources appear when one wants to add one.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Add source - sort order

Post by tatewise »

You are absolutely correct that the order in the various Select Records dialogues is inconsistent.

Most, such as Select source... and Select Repository... use the order from the Records Window tab.
Similarly, using View > Diagram Types with the Browse option, the Individuals match the Records Window tab.
Also in Publish > Family Group Sheet the Select Records > Families tab matches the Records Window tab.
Adding such as Alias, Associated Person, Submitter, Media, Note or Source to another record via the All tab also lists the selection in the Records Window tab order.

But there are exceptions, such as Publish any Report where records are always in Record Id order, apart from the Family Group Sheet for the Select Records > Families tab mentioned above.
Similarly for Tools > How Related the Select option always lists in Record Id order.
Also when using Add Media via any Media tab the records are always in Record Id order, which is inconsistent with adding them via the All tab right-click options mentioned above.

Perhaps this inconsistency should be reported to Calico Pie?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

You are very patient with me Mike - Thank you. But I attributed this to only my own deficiency and hap hazard approach!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Your difficulties are not helped by FH being inconsistent in those Select Records dialogues.
So I wanted to investigate exactly how each one behaved and shall report my findings to Calico Pie.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

It is great Mike that you keep an eye on these things. But I should add that one of the best things about fh for me is the presence of the source pane alongside the data entry so that one remembers to add a source, and then the else of finding the source one needs by name or if it cant be found, typing in a new title to be sorted out later.
I need them ordered by name please, not by record number.
I normally begin my census source record names with the year - a numeral - a habit somewhat complicated by there now being two different 1939 census style databases on line - Germany in May and England in September.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
I might be getting the totally wrong end of the stick but to order my sources I do not use the title I put in categories and then give them a code eg, parish registers begin with A, then Ac for parish register baptisms, Am for parish register marriages and Ai for pr burials. There is a different letter for each category. Censuses have x4 and then surname for 1841, x5 surname for 1851 and when I get to 1901 it is Y01 and Y11 and Y39. In this way all the censuses appear at the end but in order of surname. I don't add images on the source pane but on the person's fact.
Sorry if this isn't what you are meaning
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No Ann, that is not what Evelyn is talking about, and even with your scheme the same problem arises.
If you click Add Citation, the Select source dialogue lists records in the order they have in the Records Window.
If they are not ordered by Title, then it is not so easy to use the Filter to find records.
You need to click on the Source Records column heading to sort them, and that annoyed Evelyn until discovering the significance of the Records Window order.

I then investigated the order of various types of record in all the various Select Record dialogues, and discovered that although most use the Records Window order, a few always use Record Id order, which is inconsistent. There appears to be no Help on this topic.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Sorry
I stick to a very simple operation and don't always follow what others are trying to do. It is sometimes that simple is effective. Thanks Mike.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families