* Linking 1st Cousins that Marry

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
taadam
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Linking 1st Cousins that Marry

Post by taadam »

I have a few instances on my tree where 1st Cousins have married and I have been able to link them by selecting "Link to Existing Record" in the Property Box. However their relationships to me are not correct. One shows relationship as GG-uncle which is correct. His spouse should show a relationship as GG-aunt but appears as "Wife of GG-uncle".

I have attempted to correct this by using "How Related" & "Re-order Out of Sequence Data" without success. Since the couples have children I am nervous to fiddle around too much & lose the data.

You may be able to sense that I have only been using the Family Historian program for a few weeks. Up until now I have been able to work through any issues but this one has me stumped.
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Linking 1st Cousins that Marry

Post by PeterR »

Strictly speaking an aunt has to be a sister of one of your parents, and an uncle has to be a brother of one of your parents. The FH terminology is strictly correct, although different from everyday usage.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

There is no way to customise the automatic relationships shown by FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
taadam
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Post by taadam »

Thank you Peter R & Tatewise for your replies. You learn something new everyday!