* Potential user

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Sarahu
Family Historian: V6

Potential user

Post by Sarahu »

Researching my first genealogy software program after collecting reams of paper over 25 years. Thought Family Historian was the answer after reading reviews but, after joining the forum, the queries and responses come across as a foreign language. It all seems beyond my understanding yet l have been an ardent computer/Internet/spreadsheet user since the old days of Dos programming. Will it all become clear as mud once l become a user. Is there a simpler/basic program to simply get started with? HELP!
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Potential user

Post by Valkrider »

Get the free 30 day trial and have a play with it with the sample project first of all.

Then create your own project with perhaps 2 generations and play with them adding records, sources, images etc.

Look at the [kb]|[/kb] as it has lots of hints for newcomers to the software.

Take a look on YouTube there are videos from Jane, Mike and others that you may also find useful.

I would suggest that you take things in small steps until you become familiar with the software. I have been using FH for several years and I am still finding things out about it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

Like any new software package, the features and terminology of FH will take a while to become familiar.

I have dabbled with many genealogy packages, and they have a great many similarities, but FH is among the best.

FH and several other genealogy packages have free trial versions, so try some of those products that top the reviews.

There are introductory guides and tutorials that come with FH and in our [kb]|[/kb].
e.g. how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers

Many of the questions asked in these Forums are from users who are dealing with advanced features or experiencing difficulties. There won't be questions from satisfied users who are just getting on with capturing their family history in FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Welcome to FHUG, and don't panic!

There is a book called "Getting the Most From Family Historian" which you will probably find helpful as it talks you through the basics using examples and referring to the FH Sample Project. Earlier versions of FH included this free in digital (PDF) form but for the current version 6 the book is only available to purchase separately as a hard copy. However the version 5 edition of the book contains a lot of the same content and can be downloaded in PDF version from the Knowledge Base:
how_to:family_historian_documentation|> Family Historian Documentation
If you scroll down that section in the Knowledge Base you will see a table of comparisons showing how the V5 and V6 books differ.

As others have said, you can also download the 30-day free trail version of FH V6 from Calico Pie at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads
The trial version supports everything except plugins so will give you a good feel for the program and an opportunity to experiment with the Sample Project.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here. You will find people very helpful.
Lorna
Sarahu
Family Historian: V6

Post by Sarahu »

If these speedy responses are indicative of the support from actual users, they are most encouraging and have cemented my decision, no more waffling or should l say procrastinating. I will forge ahead with the suggestions and look forward to finally having all my data entered and being a forum user, thank you all!
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AnneEast »

Don't be afraid of the program. Many of us use it on quite a basic level but we know there is help here if we have a specific problem. To start with I worked through some of the Sample family until I got the idea of using the program and now am completely happy using it in my own chosen way. (I'm sure some if the experts would not approve but I am content!). Don't forget it YOUR tree and data and you can use it just how you like!
Anne
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi,
I agree with Ann, I have had FH since it first came out. I am not technologically competent and because of the flexibility of the progam I am able to use it at a basic level and as I also have paper files I am quite content. Like you some of the posts are way above my head but any problems you have are dealt with with patience. Also when reading the posts it can lead you on to experiment and take your use of FH to the next level giving you ideas of new ways to use it.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families