* Show Project Statistics updated plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Show Project Statistics updated plugin

Post by tatewise »

Please try attached Show Project Statistics Plugin Version 1.9.1 Date 04 Mar 2018.
[ Attachment deleted as superseded by Version 2.0 in Plugin Store ]

This has had a makeover as follows:
  • New exception Date does not provide a Day Number nor Day Of Week to identify abnormal Dates, such as 32nd April, BC dates, Julian, Hebrew & French calendars, and missing dates in 1752, etc.
  • New counts of Media and Citations attached to Records and Facts including Media attached to the Citations.
  • New & revised Individuals and Families counts.
  • Facts details now include Names and LDS Ordinances plus an All row summary.
  • Facts details show separate counts of Place and Address fields.
  • Facts omit Age at Birth details and reports Birth Age > 0.
  • New Data counts of Work with Data and similar data items.
  • Improved progress bar and many internal efficiency enhancements.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Show Project Statistics updated plugin

Post by tatewise »

Attached Show Project Statistics Plugin Version 1.9.2 Date 05 Mar 2018 is even faster.
It now counts the Header (overlooked before), and checks for Citations on Family as Child/Spouse link Notes.

There are some interesting cross-checks that can be performed.
  • The Records grid Count column should match the FH File > File Statistics counts.
  • Compare the Records grid Individual number of Links versus Family number of Links.
    If Individual count is more, that indicates Fact Witness, Associated Person, and Alias links.
  • On the Records grid, note the Multimedia number of Links count.
    Compare with Records grid All ~ Media count plus Facts grid All ~ Media count.
    If that sum is greater, then there are Local Media Objects in the Project that bypass Media Records.
  • On the Records grid, note the Source number of Links count.
    It should equal the Records grid All ~ Cites count plus Facts grid All ~ Cites count.
    If not, then there are some Citations hidden on very nested Notes, etc, somewhere.
  • The Records grid Place number of Links should equal Facts grid All ~ Place count.
    Compare Records grid Place row Count with the Data grid Places count, any excess are unused Place records.
  • Compare the Records grid Individuals row Count with the Facts grid Names row Count.
    Any difference is due to Alternate Names (and Individuals with no Name field at all, but that is very rare).
  • In Individuals grid, the All count should equal sum of Male + Female + Undefined gender counts.
    It should also equal the sum of the Pool counts.
  • In the Families grid, the All count should equal sum of No Parents + One Parent + Two Parents counts.
    The Two Parents count should equal sum of Both Sex Pair + Same Sex Pair counts.
  • Many Totals counts in the Data grid should match the number of Tools > Work with Data items, except perhaps Places that only counts used Place records.
NigelBrown
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by NigelBrown »

Mike,

I have just downloaded your updated Show Project Statistics v1.9.2. Before I installed it I ran the old version first, all OK, as normal. Running the new 1.9.2 the plugin stalled first time, showing no grid or data in the tables; an error message showed up saying something about Grid Data but it was over too quick to read properly. I have tried running the plugin a second time and it fails to produce anything at all. The Plugins Window says Running in the State column, but nothing more has happened after 5 minutes.
Nigel Brown - https://vousden.one-name.net
Vousden One-Name Study - https://vousden.one-name.net
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Nigel,

At first the grids will be empty. Did you click on the Update Statistics button in the lower left hand corner. This should process your project and update the grids.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since the version has changed, it should first popup a small message saying the Grid needs to be reset.
Then it displays a blank Grid.

I did try running the Plugin Store version 1.9 followed by this new version 1.9.2 and it behaved as above.

Try downloading and running the Plugin Store version 1.9 and then this new version again.

If that fails, try deleting the ...fh_data\Plugin Data\Show Project Statistics.dat & .grd files.

Meanwhile, I will run some further version upgrade tests.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry - I thought I had included the bug fix that prevents that kind of initial Plugin window freeze, bit I had not :oops:
I have updated the Attachment Version 1.9.2 to my earlier posting and that should include the bug fix and run correctly.
NigelBrown
Diamond

Post by NigelBrown »

Mike, I did try it earlier this morning with the same hanging result, but then did as you said, including deletion of dat & .grd files, and all was well. Thanks also for the update.
Nigel Brown - https://vousden.one-name.net
Vousden One-Name Study - https://vousden.one-name.net
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Mike, I have just tried the latest version 1.9.2.
The pop-up window to reset the grid does appear, but behind FH, so it is not visible. I had FH running on half of my laptop screen, so half of the pop-up window was visible.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is very odd John, because many of my plugins use that same popup memo script, and I've never noticed, or had any reports, that they appear behind FH. It is a 'modal' window so should always appear locked in front of its parent FH window.
Is there anything unusual about your PC configuration that might explain it?

There is nothing I can click in the FH window that brings it in front of the popup window.
Only by clicking the taskbar icons can I bring any window in front of the popup window.

Presumably there is a clue there in the taskbar that there is an fh icon Show Project Statistics window available?

I can try using the IUP GUI BringFront option on that popup window, but I suspect that is being invoked automatically already.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I was just wondering if that was the behaviour that Nigel was also getting. If FH was running full screen he wouldn't be seeing the pop-up?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Maybe, but there would have been a 2nd fh icon in the taskbar saying Show Project Statistics, which if clicked would reveal the plugin window.

Plus it is not obvious how that can happen, unless something is bringing the main FH window into focus in front of the Plugin window. As I said, very strange indeed.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try attached Show Project Statistics Plugin Version 1.9.4 Date 11 Mar 2018.
It has the following extra features:
  • It is twice the speed of V1.9.2 despite detecting more statistics and exceptions more extensively.
  • It forces the Table Grid 1.9.2 mismatches 1.9.4 so a reset is required. memo to be in front of every window.
  • It now detects most UDF and includes more Date errors in the Exception Reports.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

Looks good at first glance. There is one thing. Unlike with earlier versions, I have a problem getting this version to take focus while it is updating statistics and the progress bar is going. I didn't want to wait for it to finish so I clicked on my browser icon in the task bar to bring it into focus and used it for a bit and then tried to go back to the plugin using the same method and I couldn't. To get to the plugin I had to minimize my browser so I could see the plugin windows and select them in that way. Hope this make sense.

Edit:

Just tried it again and it worked ok this time. Maybe it only happens the first time after upgrading to the new version?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill,
I think it is a processing latency issue (nothing to do with new version just been installed).
To improve run time, the progress bar is not updated on every record processed (as it was in earlier versions).
So it seems that while Plugin is busy processing records without involving any user dialogue it may miss Taskbar Focus clicks.

I have modified the progress bar handling without affecting run time, and it now seems to notice all Taskbar Focus clicks.

Try attached Show Project Statistics Plugin Version 1.9.5 Date 12 Mar 2018.
[EDIT: Attachment deleted as V2.0 now in Plugin Store.]

BTW: How long does it now take to complete an Update Statistics run?
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

This version seems to work fine. I had no taskbar focus issues.

On my project, the plugin takes about 3:48 to get 50% done, but then finishes in 4:25.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

Those times were for the first run when it had to rebuild the grid. On subsequent runs it is taking about 17 seconds to update the statistics.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspect the difference between first and subsequent runs is due to the Media checks, because the image file handling library appears to cache the file details, so it does not need to actually load the files on subsequent runs.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Show Project Statistics Plugin Version 2.0 Date 14 Mar 2018 is now in the Plugin Store and its plugins:help:show_project_statistics:show_project_statistics|> Show Project Statistics Plugin Help & Advice has been updated.

The prototypes attached to this thread will be deleted soon.
ValP

Post by ValP »

I downloaded this Plugin today. However, I cannot generate any statistics as I am unable to scroll down to the bottom of the Records page where the Update Statistics button is located – the last visible line is Statistics Last Updated. I have tried re-sizing the box by dragging in the diagonal two-headed arrow which appears at the top right-hand corner but nothing happens. Any idea how I can get round this problem?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Val.
Sorry that you have that problem, we should be able to work out a workable solution.
Which Windows version are you running (Vista, 7, 8,10) ?

I presume the Plugin window virtually fills your monitor screen, which I suspect may have a low resolution, or you have increased your default Windows font size.

Try one of the following alternatives until you achieve success:
  • If the top of the Plugin window is not at the top of your monitor screen, then left-click and hold on its title, and try dragging it up as far as possible to reveal its buttons, then click the Set Window Fonts button.
  • Try to auto-hide the Taskbar across the bottom and hopefully reveal the Plugin buttons.
    Right-click on the Taskbar and in its settings enable auto-hide the taskbar.
    When it auto-hides that may reveal the Plugin buttons, so click Set Window Fonts button.
  • Run the Plugin, then hold down the Shft key while you tap the Tab key twice.
    That should move focus to the Set Window Fonts button. Press the Return/Enter key to activate that button.
Now the Set Window Fonts & Colours dialogue should be open.
Click on Choose Headings Font and default Colour and reduce the font Size to 8 or less and click OK.
Click on Choose Body text Font and default Colour and reduce the font Size to 8 or less and click OK.
Now click the Minimum Size button and the main window should now reveal all its buttons.
Click Close Dialogue.
ValP

Post by ValP »

Thanks, Mike, for replying so promptly and giving such clear instructions to solve my problem. I use Windows 7 and by auto-hiding the Task Bar I was able to view the missing buttons.
CathyC
Gold

Post by CathyC »

Just to add my thanks to Mike Tate for his amazingly clear instructions (as always). I too was unable to find the buttons on the bottom of this plugin but, by following the above, all was revealed. As there are 2858 results in my Report I'm now extremely busy, as you can imagine!!