* Family Media Doesn't Show Up in Narrative Reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
edmacke
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Family Media Doesn't Show Up in Narrative Reports

Post by edmacke »

When I link media to an individual, it shows up in the narrative reports (e.g. Ancestors by Generation).

But when I link that same media to a family, it doesn't seem to show up.

Am I missing something, or do does family media only show up in certain reports or something?

FYI, I do NOT have the "Exclude from Reports" or "Exclude from Diagrams" options ticked in the "Edit Media Item" box for the family media.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Family Media Doesn't Show Up in Narrative Reports

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it seems that Family record Media are only included in Individual Summary Reports and Family Group Sheets.

Although they are usually family group photos, so each person's face frame typically appears in their Individual record Media tab, and thus in every report.

Try reporting the omission to Calico Pie and see what they say.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
edmacke
Famous

Post by edmacke »

Thanks, Mike, I'll let Calico Pie know and see what they can do.

I've done the group shot / face thing before, but in this case I had pictures of houses where people lived.

So somebody lived in one house with his first wife, and another house with his second wife... I wanted the reports to show that, just like it does with family facts.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

To get around this why not simply add a residence event with a witness for the wife to the husband and attach the house picture to that, it has the advantage of providing a useful sentence in the reports and also allows you to easily date the period they lived in the house.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
edmacke
Famous

Post by edmacke »

To get around this why not simply add a residence event with a witness for the wife to the husband and attach the house picture to that, it has the advantage of providing a useful sentence in the reports and also allows you to easily date the period they lived in the house.
That worked pretty well!

I've never used the witness function before, so it took me a minute to figure out how to do what you were saying.

For folks like me, here's what you do:
1. In the Individual property box for one person (e.g. husband), add a "Residence" fact on the Fact tab
2. Click the gear icon to access the "Witnesses..." feature (highlighted in yellow)
3. Add the other person (e.g. wife) and select the role as "Resident"
4. Click the media button to add media for that Resident fact (red arrow)
2018-01-05_8-47-28.png
2018-01-05_8-47-28.png (11.35 KiB) Viewed 6083 times
After doing that, the sentence in the narrative report will read "In 1970 husband lived at 123 Main Street in Chicago, IL with wife." (where husband and wife are filled in with names or he/she, depending on context) and the picture will display in the report just like you'd expect.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can also right-click on the Fact to access Witnesses and other things associated with that Fact.

In the FH Help > Search Help enter Witnesses and List Topics, then Display the Witnesses Dialogue for full details.

This is another one of those cases where posting the essential requirement yields a solution, whereas posting a perceived solution does not.

BTW: Ed, posting in the New Wish List Requests Forum is NOT the same as reporting the issue to Calico Pie.
edmacke
Famous

Post by edmacke »

...posting in the New Wish List Requests Forum is NOT the same as reporting the issue to Calico Pie.
OK, stupid question... how do I report the issue to Calico Pie?

Thanks, everybody, for your help with this. Learned all about Witnesses, which was new to me.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Another possibility, which avoids the use of Witnesses, would be to use a Family Custom Attribute such as Co-residence from the Kinsfolk Fact Set. See fhugdownloads:contents:kinsfolk_facts_sources|> Fact Set ~ Kinsfolk Facts & Sources.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)