* 'Living' flag

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ringwoodturner
Gold
Family Historian: V7

'Living' flag

Post by ringwoodturner »

I have boxes showing on the Individual property box for the standard 'Living' and 'Private' flags. I have ticked these boxes for a number of individuals, and until recently, when these individuals appeared in any diagram (such as 'all descendants'), a 'living' or 'private' marker appeared alongside their box. I recently clicked the 'installation settings' box, and the markers no longer appear. Despite searching through the book 'Getting the most from...', and searching both the on-line help and the knowledge base, I can't see how to get the markers to show. I accept that I may be using the wrong terminology both in my searches and in this post, but please can somebody tell me how to get these markers back?
davidm_uk
Megastar

Re: 'Living' flag

Post by davidm_uk »

Is this any help: how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions

or try typing flags into the search box at the top of that page.

If you add icons to a diagram you should really save that as a custom diagram, otherwise those settings will be lost if you reset to installation settings (as you've found out).
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FYI: The things you call "markers" are probably Icons that appear as small iconic images below each box.
In Getting the Most From FH they are mentioned in Chapter 9. Setting the Style, Layout & Content of Diagrams under B&B-style Icons.

In the past you have customised both the Individual Property Box and the Standard Diagrams.
1) You have used the Property Box cog Menu > Customize Data Entry to add tick boxes for Living and Private.
2) You have use Diagram > Options > Boxes tab and added those two Record Flags as Conditions as explained in how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions under Using Icons.

As David advises, you should preserve such customisations.
1) In Customize Property Box use More Tab Tasks > Export Tab.
2) In Diagrams use Diagram > Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type.

Also use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ringwoodturner
Gold

Post by ringwoodturner »

Thanks, both of you. I remember that I had customized the property box (and that stayed the same); but I didn't - and still don't- recall ever following the steps to add the icon. I can only accept that I must have done so, and all is now working as I wanted it. Best regards.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Excellent, but don't forget to preserve those and any other customisations as advised.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry